We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

Which Freiburg im Breisgau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
reviews: 3
Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

Hi Huwe

Last year you offered us excellent advice for our hiking holiday

to the Black Forest, we had a great time in Kirchzarten.

Th six of us are planning a return for 6 days hiking in late May, we would like to stay in a similar village. Can you recommend some choices please, our main considerations are that it must have train link with Freiburg, late night bus at weekend from Freiburg would be a bonus too. Finally, enough choice for dining/drinking out.

Appreciated your past invaluable help.

Cheers

Colin1987

Scotland

Freiburg im...
1. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

Breisach is a nice little town in the wine growing area "Kaiserstuhl". The Kaiserstuhl region is west of Freiburg and so to speak popular for "food, wine, hiking and biking" Breisac has a cathedral, a bridge across the Rhine to the Alsace, you can have boat trips and there is a little bit of nightlife, as well.

Nearby Ihringen is a smaller place, but possibly a better starting point for hikes.

Both places are linked to Freiburg by commuter train line and also reachable by the late night buses.

http://www.breisach.de/html/seiten/text.phtml?nav=2〈=en

ihringen.de/servlet/…index.html

kaiserstuhl.cc/text/…sports-and-leisure.html

www.vag-freiburg.de/en/safer-traffic.html

For the timetables click "SaferTraffic Fahrplan"

http://www.kaiserstuhl.eu/Orte/orte.htm

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
2. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

You should be aware that the Kaiserstuhl area is nice, but not IN the Black Forest if that is a requirement, but consists of some not too high hills close to the Rhine with some of Germany's best vineyards. The Rhine River between Breisach (excellent church) and Neubreisach in France will probably have more swans on it than you've ever seen before. Neubreisach also has some old border fortifications.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 32
3. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

Alsace is wonderful for drinking/eating. If you consider Breisach why not put a post on TA France/Alsace and comment where you'll be coming from over the Rhine and I'm sure they have info. You can also do some good hikes in Alsace.

scotland
4. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

Huwe/Marcopolka,

Thank you both for your replies.

After much debate between our group, we were very nearling heading to

Berlin at one point, we have now settled for the BF again.

Leaving it so late, we have struggled to get booked in the choices we

mentioned previous.

We are now looking at Gengenbach, to be honest we know very little about.

Appreciate any information based on my previous post regards

transport, trains and late night bus from the bigger nearby towns,

Hiking and eating/drinking etc.

Best Regards

Colin1987

Germany
5. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

Maybe Schluchsee? Just 1 hour by train. Charming lake. Hiking is easy to moderate, good restaurants, etc. We booked a reasonably priced vacation apartment at Park Hotel Flora. Their restaurant is outstanding but a bit upscale in terms of dress/atmosphere. Good salad bar. Check and see what other stops are on the train ride there - for instance Titisee is more of a traditional tourist destination I believe.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 32
6. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

I have also been to Schluchsee and enjoyed it and found it very "natural", not tourist. But it may seem "quiet" to some. I would recommend it, esp. for hiking.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
7. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

A bit more respect for Gengenbach, LOL - the place is small but they have a glorious past as a free imperial city, so don't call it a village...

Seriously: Gengenbach is a beautiful old town with a well preserved historical centre, one of the finest in the whole Black Forest. The town's website will tell you more: www.stadt-gengenbach.de/en/tourism/…

Gengenbach is easy to reach by train. It is located along the Schwarzwaldbahn route, although only RE trains and the Ortenau S-bahn stop there, the IRE trains do not. Those local trains are well connected to longer distance trains in either Hausach or Offenburg, though.

Germany
8. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

@NYNM: I agree, it's pretty quiet. If the OP is looking for hot, happening night life, it ain't the right place. My guess is there are maybe 15 restaurants, 1 bank and 1 grocery in town? Wikipedia says about 2500 inhabitants (which may include surrounding areas). But great food - I have the impression that this area of the Black Forest is a culinary destination for a lot of people from Switzerland, much like Alsace. Also excellent train connections, with the train stopping right at the main boardwalk on the lake.

Titisee is on the same train line, closer to Freiburg, and about 12K people, but other than that I don't know much about it.

scotland
9. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

Thank you BlandineForberg.

Having difficulty for our number (6) for Gengenbach, would Berghaupten

be a reasonable substitute?

Can anyone advise how far is it from the train station at Gengenbach,

require another train, bus or is it within walking distance ?

Any other information on Berghaupten would be welcome please.

Other than their tourist website.

Colin1987

10. Re: Another Ideal Village base for hiking. - Nr Freiburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 17, 2010