We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling through small towns in Southern Germany

Which Baden-Wurttemberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whitefish, Montana
reviews: 12
Traveling through small towns in Southern Germany

We are flying into Prague and out of Paris thinking of taking a train to Munich for three days then renting a car and traveling across Southern Germany to end in Strasbough and taking the high speed train into Paris. All that said we are thinking of driving from Munich across Germany, will we have trouble finding lodging in small towns for a family of 4? Should we book those rooms ahead of time or will we be safe to wing it? Our travel is the middle of June. Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 36
1. Re: Traveling through small towns in Southern Germany

Depending on where you are planning on staying, not having reservations may be fine. For four people you usually will need two hotel rooms. Also, you'll also have the opportunity to stay in rooms in some one's house, the Zimmer Frei's.

Leave your car in Kehl on the German side of the Rhine and take Strasbourg's local transportation to get into town. This will avoid high international drop off charges.

If you want to have a great time making the drive, buy large scale (1:150000 or 1cm = 1.5km or 1in approximates 2.5 miles) maps that show on each map hundreds or thousands of interesting places to visit of all types which also has the attractions accurately rated. Then pick places in a logical progression that includes a few of the better or best attractions of varying types and combine them with other places along the way that might interest you. You'll have a large choice of both natural and man-made features. We've spent many an excellent day doing this, in fact much better than any visits to some of the better known attractions in the area.

For some great drives, click on my name and look at some of my forum entries, or do a search on the Germany forum using a few of the terms Biberach, Zwiefalten, Lichtenstein, Marbach which will be included in some of my replies, and that is my favorite drive in Germany with excellent scenery and interesting places to visit. Also, be sure to visit Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ), our favorite town in Germany to repeatedly visit, it is just quintessential Germany with its hilly cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, castle, interesting nontourist shops, one of Europe's oldest universities, and the nextdoor delightful well-preserved medieval Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ). All of these places are excellent, and there will be few tourists and almost no foreign ones so that you can have "real" German experiences rather than visiting places which are overwhelmed by foreign tourist hordes where the local inhabitants are greatly outnumbered by foreign tourists.

Information on some of these places can be found at www.schwaebischealb.de , www.oberschwaben-tourismus.de (only in German, use your computer's browser translation facility), and for the entire state of Baden-Wuerttemberg www.baden-wuerttemberg.de , www.tourismus-bw.de , and www.schloesser-magazin.de/en for the excellent castles, palaces, monasteries and gardens that are operated by this state.

Whitefish, Montana
reviews: 12
2. Re: Traveling through small towns in Southern Germany

Thank you so much for your great advice. I will examine those suggestions. We are thinking that after spending time in some of the large cities it will be a welcome change to visit small towns and perhaps stay in homes as you suggest. We may even cut out a day in Munich and take the train to Garmish for an overnight there and begin driving from there. I will also review some of your posts to get more insight thanks agian.

3. Re: Traveling through small towns in Southern Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 21, 2012