We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best connected town where the KONUS card is issued

Which Baden-Wurttemberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 3
Best connected town where the KONUS card is issued

I am looking for the town with the best connections to Strasbourg, Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Baden and Karlsruhe where I will be issued with a KONUS card during my stay.

I would be grateful for your assistance in determining in which town I should stay.

Thank you

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Best connected town where the KONUS card is issued

Best connected town would be Offenburg - but does not take part in the KONUS program.

Gengenbach would be an idea. Just a few minutes by train from Offenburg and thus as well centrally for connections to Strasbourg (west), Baden-Baden and Karlsruhe (north) and Freiburg (south). And even more to other places along the Black Forest Railway like the Vogtsbauernhof Black Forest Open Air Museum or Triberg.

http://www.stadt-gengenbach.de/

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

The trips to Baden-Baden, Karlsruhe and Freiburg are covered by the KONUS card. Incl. the trams and buses there.

To Straasbourg you can buy a TGO EUROPASS 24h mini. A 24 hours ticket covering the regional trains between Kehl and Strasbourg. And the trams and buses in Strasbourg. EUR 6,00 for 1 person. EUR 10,00 for the family version (2 adults plus 0-2 children under 12 years).

Bath, United Kingdom
2. Re: Best connected town where the KONUS card is issued

Thank you abalada! As helpful as ever!

Will I be guaranteed to be issued with a KONUS card irrespective of at which hotel or pension in Gengenbach I choose to stay?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
3. Re: Best connected town where the KONUS card is issued

Yes. This is a town thing connected to the local Kurtaxe (kind of municipal bed tax). Thus as soon one offers accommodation on a commercial base one has to pay this tax for any overnight stay of guests. And when a town joins the KONUS program, i.e. paying a part of this tax into this program, every guest in this town staying there, no matter if at a camp ground / hostel / pension / vacation apartment / hotel, is entitled to get a KONUS guest card.

Bath, United Kingdom
4. Re: Best connected town where the KONUS card is issued

Thank you once again.

Am I correct in my belief that the town of Kehl does not participate in the KONUS scheme? I ask only because I have found a hotel in Kehl at which I could potentially stay.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
5. Re: Best connected town where the KONUS card is issued

Not AFAIK, after all Kehl is not in the Black Forest (and in general not a recommendable place to stay)...

6. Re: Best connected town where the KONUS card is issued

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 22, 2014