We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest Base City to Explore Black Forest Region??

Which Baden-Wurttemberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 12
Nearest Base City to Explore Black Forest Region??

Hi,

My wife and I will be in Black Forest early August and then fly out to London. As of now, we were planning to reach Stuttgart, hire a car for 2-3 to explore the Black Forest Region and then fly out from Stuttgart to London. Wondering if Stuttgart is the most convenient “base” city to i) rent a car and ii) fly out to London.

Any views would be most appreciated

Thanks,

--Ankur.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
1. Re: Nearest Base City to Explore Black Forest Region??

Freiburg is a bit closer to that part of the BF that most visitors choose to visit. But flights are much more common out of Stuttgart or Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. But if you decide to base in Stuttgart, do have a look at Calw and the other towns in the nearby Nagold River valley.

I wouldn't stay in any of the larger cities if your interest lies in exploring the BF. In smaller BF towns, you'll pay much much less for a nice room and you'll experience more local color and flavor. Also, unlike Stuttgart, Freiburg, and Baden-Baden, a lot of the smaller towns offer totally free rail transportation within the Black Forest on the "Konus Gästekarte", a guest card you receive from your hosts. The rail routes that criss-cross the BF make for fabulous sightseeing and a relaxing trip. I just returned from a trip there and had a marvelous time, all by train, and virtually free - only had to pay for my inbound rail trip on the first day prior to check-in. Really beats the expense and hassle of car travel! When you leave, you can use your free Konus card on check out day to the edge of the BF and purchase regular tickets to cover the rest of the way to Stuttgart airport (or FKB).

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
2. Re: Nearest Base City to Explore Black Forest Region??

I should mention also that if you visit the southern BF at the end of your stay and fly out of Basel, the Konus Card will take you all the way to Basel - just make sure you ride the regional (S, RE, RB, IRE) trains and not the ultra high-speed equipment (IC, ICE, etc.)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 36
3. Re: Nearest Base City to Explore Black Forest Region??

Yes, Stuttgart is the most convenient airport for renting a car and flying to London. For things to see and do in Stuttgart look at www.stuttgart-tourist.de , and also at the airport there is a tourist office with lots of free information. Several nice places to visit south of Stuttgart: the old college town of Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) with its hilly cobblestone streets and one of Europe's oldest universities; just north of Tuebingen is the excellently preserved medieval monastery Bebenhausen (in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de which also has a lot of other excellent places to visit operated by the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg); and Burg Hohenzollern ( www.burg-hohenzollern.com ) which is a wonderful fairytale-like castle. Calw ( www.calw.de ), the author Hermann Hesse's hometown, is also a nice town to visit. If you stay in the Black Forest ( www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info ) rather than a larger city, accomodations should be cheaper.

For driving, I recommend getting Map #16 in Die Shell Regional Karte series of large scale maps that cover Germany, as this one covers all except the very northernmost Black Forest and surrounding areas. Map #24 centered on Stuttgart will show the rest. They are available at most Shell gas stations and at bookstores. They show ALL rural roads; churches, monasteries, palaces and castles, and whether they are intact or are ruins; scenic towns; waterfalls; vista points; scenic rivers, valleys, and drives; visitable mines (there is a nice underground silver mine by Neubeulach); etc. The better sights are highlighted in yellow if cultural and green if scenic, and the best also have a box around them. Even the nonhighlighted places can be excellent to visit. There are hundreds of interesting places to visit shown, and it's easy to visit a more interesting place a distance away and also see the sights along the way which you otherwise might not know about. Perfect for planning a day's, week's or month's excursions.

Baden-Wurttemberg...
4. Re: Nearest Base City to Explore Black Forest Region??

The most convenient airports for the black forest are Karlsruhe-Baden-Baden (Ryanair from Stansted) for the northern part and Basel (Easyjet from Stansted and Luton, Swiss from the City Airport an BA from Heathrow) for the south.

If flying to Basel, consider that the French car rentals in the French sector of the airport might be a lot cheaper than the Swiss companies.

5. Re: Nearest Base City to Explore Black Forest Region??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 02, 2009