We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location problems

Which Baden-Wurttemberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Drogheda, Ireland
reviews: 32
location problems

Me again,

I am finding it difficult to get self catering accomodation in Freiburg (that gives enough detail on what it is like), So we are now thinking of some of the nearby smaller towns/villages.

We will not be hiring a car so public transport is neccessity, I have heard of a konus ticket you can get from some places. It needs to be pretty easy to get around as i am planning a few day trips out and about. but it would also be nice if there was stuff to do in that town so we could stay there a few days.

We would like for there to be some restaurants and bars within walking distance for the evenings.

Hope you can help with some nice locations.

Drogheda, Ireland
1. Re: location problems

Meant to add we are flying into Basel so would prefer if it was near enough to hear no more than 1-2 hours journey.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
2. Re: location problems

You'll want a place along one of the railway lines, best a railway line that's not dead end. I'd suggest

- either the spa town of Bad Krozingen. Situated on the Basel-Freiburg railway, so you have access to a main route. Trains into Freiburg take some 10 minutes and run till late in the evening. Bad Krozingen is also the starting point of the Staufen-Münstertal railway - good opportunities for hiking. Then there is the spa. The town should have plenty of accommodation for visitors and also restaurants. And you'll be in the Markgräflerland, which is famous for its wines.

- or one of the places along the Höllental route. Hinterzarten, for example. Avoid Titisee, it's a tourist trap and the restaurants are crap.

Freiburg im...
3. Re: location problems

Yes, the Konus card is a bargain:

blackforest-tourism.com/index.php/layout/set…

Bad Krozingen and especially the quaint small town of Staufen are good suggestions.

Places closer to both the airport and the Swiss border:

http://www.bad-saeckingen.de/v2/english/

loerrach.de/servlet/…navigation.html

Drogheda, Ireland
4. Re: location problems

Thanks for the replies I am liking Bad Krozingen. Am I right in thinking that the konus is not available there as according to that website its not on the list. Is this just a misprint or is this correct.

Freiburg im...
5. Re: location problems

It is correct. Only the listed places are delivering the card, yet it is valid in the other places, too. (e.g. local transport in Freiburg, Baden-Baden, Bad Krozingen etc.)

Staufen is participating in Konus, it is only a few minutes away from Bad Krozingen.

Drogheda, Ireland
6. Re: location problems

Thanks for replies. Really like Staufen as well and the konus is a plus. Have emailed a few apartments and hopefully they will reply. As not many have replied from other emails.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
7. Re: location problems

I'd phone the tourist information in Staufen and ask for recommendations - if you're lucky they'll even do the booking for you. You'll need a place that's within walking distance of the station and the town centre, not somewhere at a farm in the countryside. Ask them. They know all the places in town (and can be expected to speak English).

Tourist-Information Staufen

Phone: +49(0)7633/80536

Freiburg im...
8. Re: location problems

I don't know, if you have seen this side already:

www.breisgau-schwarzwald.de/s__fewo.htm

Most of them are schowing the distance to train-station (click the locomotive on the right or click "Lage") Staufen is small and the train station is in the center, so walking there schouldn't be a problem, anyway.

Avoid accommodations in Staufen-"Grunern"

9. Re: location problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 30, 2009