We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal Travel booking mandatory?

Pune, India
reviews: 14
Internal Travel booking mandatory?

Hi,

I am planning a trip with my wife in May to Germany and Switserland. Since my max duration will be in Germany, I will be applying to German Consulate in India.

I am planning to travel from stuttgart to Zurich and later from Zurich to Munich by train.

The question is that, do I need to actually pay and book tickets for these train for applying schengen visa? Some agents say that since this is intercountry travel such booking is mandatory while some say just mention about the Train details in itenarary will be sufficient, no need of actual booking.

I am on tight budget, so do not want to invest much before getting visa. Please suggest

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Internal Travel booking mandatory?

You don't need to buy these tickets for obtaining a Schengen visa.

But if you have your visa buying in advance makes for these 2 trips sense as you can get discounted specials if you buy in advance.

Question is why you plan to visit the most expensive city/country in Europe if you're on a tight budget. And Zürich is just the biggest city of Switzerland. In my view not a must see of Switzerland at all.

Brussels
reviews: 9
2. Re: Internal Travel booking mandatory?

<do I need to actually pay and book tickets for these train for applying schengen visa?>

Follow the instructions given on the website of the Consulate that will be dealing with your visa application (Mumbai ?).

<Some agents say that since this is intercountry travel such booking is mandatory>

Don't ask "agents", ask the Consulate itself. Contact details will be on the Consulate's website. It seems that Schengen visa applications in India are handled by a private company, VFS Global. There is a contact phone number on the website of the Mumbai Consulate (see below).

…diplo.de/Vertretung/indien/en/06__Consu__Vi…

…diplo.de/Vertretung/indien/en/05__Mumbai/Vi…

In general, I think you will probably not be expected to buy these tickets in advance, but you will only find out by asking the Consulate (or VFS Global) when you apply for your visa.

Pune, India
reviews: 14
3. Re: Internal Travel booking mandatory?

Thanks for reply. I checked with EFS global, but could not get much fruitful reply :(

the phone goes to call center and "they gives answer like you need to declare travel plan along with your train reservations, but no need of booking". While I cannot 'reserve' a ticket without booking it.

@abalada:

I will not be staying at Zurich, I will further travel to Engelberg. Also our whole stay will be in Youth hostels throughout my trip (already done bookings for that).

Also booking train ticket would have been ok otherwise, but bahn website dont allow to mention co-travellers name, and I need that as German embasy needs separate application for husband and wife with separate set of documents. :(

4. Re: Internal Travel booking mandatory?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 27, 2015