We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking train trips including children - which site?

Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 3
Booking train trips including children - which site?

Hi all,

I have tried finding an answer in the forums for this topic but haven 't had any luck. We are travelling with our three children (they will be 7, 10, and 12) in the summer. When I buy train tickets from Amsterdam to Cologne, which site is the best to use? I have entered fake dates into both the bahn.de site and the nshispeed sites in order to check prices, but I am confused about the children and the cost for them. I know in the Netherlands the younger ones can ride with a railrunner (which I can't find a place to purchase in advance yet either). In Germany they are free as they will be travelling with us, their parents.

My question:

If we are starting in the Netherlands do we have to pay for the children or will they be free since we are ending our journey in Germany? I want to buy the tickets in advance so that we can get the best deal, but I don't want to be stuck with the wrong tickets once we are on board the train with all five of us. The Cologne-Berlin leg will be fine as it departs and ends in the same country. Then we will have the opposite situation for the Berlin to Copenhagen stretch (free in Germany but not in Denmark).

Any ideas/hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Booking train trips including children - which site?

If you buy the tickets through DB (bahn.de) your kids are free also for Amsterdam to Cologne and Berlin to Copenhagen. It plays no role that this is different for domestic trips in the Netherlands / Denmark.

> but I don't want to be stuck with the wrong tickets once we are on board the train with all five of us

If you buy a train ticket for the 5 of you giving the real age of the travelers this will be a correct ticket. The price of the ticket plays no role. Just the number/age of the travelers, the date and in case of discounted specials also the train number will be checked on board.

But as you may have already found out that the prices with nshighspeed.nl are identical, i.e. the kids are for free (with Amsterdam to Cologne).

And the Danish DSB will redirect you anyway to the DB site if you want to buy a ticket from Berlin to Copenhagen.

Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: Booking train trips including children - which site?

Great! Thanks for the help. I was feeling stuck trying to navigate the sites without knowing these details. We will stick with the DB site for our train bookings and trust they will calculate according to the children always being with us as their parents. I'm sure once I can choose the actual dates of travel the website will become more user friendly for an overseas traveller :)

I appreciate the help immensely!

Reply to: Booking train trips including children - which site?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted