We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Updated Itinerary - Need Some Help on Final Days

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 118
Updated Itinerary - Need Some Help on Final Days

Hi all,

First, I would like to thank everyone for their help. Right now I am drafting a rough itinerary so I can get hotel rooms booked. The actual details of the days will come together later. We're traveling peak season (mid-late June) so the hotel bookings are somewhat urgent.

Here is what we have so far and I am particularly looking for help in figuring out where to stay after Salzburg (day 11 onwards).

We prefer 2 nights in a place, but am not opposed to moving as I do have a deadline to get to Berlin for a conference.

Day 1 - Travel from Amsterdam to Cologne. Explore Cologne. (overnight Marriott Courtyard; it's a new hotel, good location and a great price)

Day 2 - Pick up car from Cologne train station. Drive from Cologne to Boppard. Leisurely drive, stop along the way at whatever strikes our fancy. Overnight Boppard

Day 3 - Explore Rhine region (likely do a cruise). Overnight Boppard

Day 4 - Burg Eltz (possibly Cochem) and drive to Rothenburg. Overnight Rothenburg

Day 5 - Explore area around Rothenburg (possibly Wurzburg). Overnight Rothenburg

Day 6 - Drive down to Fussen with stops along the way. Overnight Fussen

Day 7 - Explore Fussen area (palaces). Overnight Fussen

Day 8 - Drive to Munich area. Overnight @ Hotel Grunwald (free parking, just outside city centre, close to train station....I don't want to deal with parking in the centre)

Day 9 - Munich. Overnight @ same hotel.

Day 10 - Munich/Dachau. Overnight @ same hotel.

Day 11 - Drive to Salzburg. Explore Salzburg (yes, I know it's quite a drive...so it'll be an early morning departure). Overnight in Salzburg (no idea where yet).

Day 12 - Depart Salzburg...to where? Regensburg? Nurnburg? Landshut? Help!

Day 13 - Continue driving toward Berlin. Overnight in Erfurt???

Day 14 - See day 13

Day 15 - Must be in Berlin early morning to drop off car.

Day 16 - 20 - Overnights in Berlin at conference hotel.

5 replies to this topic
Köln
1. Re: Updated Itinerary - Need Some Help on Final Days

very tough question, I'd probably skip Nuremberg and Regensburg. See Landshut and - in case you haven't seen it before - Bamberg on Day 12, overnight in Bamberg. Day 13: See Coburg on the way to Erfurt. Overnight in Erfurt. Day 14: Continue to Berlin with either Weimar or Halle (Saale) en route. I personally would prefer Halle over Weimar.

But of course that's only one of endless choices.

Fort Worth, Texas
2. Re: Updated Itinerary - Need Some Help on Final Days

HI there,

Thank you so much for the input. Is there a reason to recommend Lanshut over Regensburg or Nurnberg?

I have never been to Bamburg before and I have heard great things.

I do plan on returning for a Christmas market visit...so I know I will see Nurnberg, Regensburg, and probably Bamburg at that time.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
3. Re: Updated Itinerary - Need Some Help on Final Days

>Is there a reason to recommend Landshut over Regensburg or Nurnberg?

Regensburg and Nürnberg require more time than just a few hours. Landshut is smaller, easy to explore on foot (although it could keep you busy for longer than that), and it is an undestroyed old town, a real gem and I wonder why it is almost unknown among overseas tourists. You may want to have a look at my Landshut page over on Virtualtourist: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/a997/

Exeter, Rhode Island
reviews: 59
4. Re: Updated Itinerary - Need Some Help on Final Days

I looked at your itinerary and would recommend that you return the car when you arrive in Munich. Stay downtown in Munich and enjoy it for the 3 days. Then take the train to Salzburg and then to Berline when you are ready - less driving and more fun!

Fort Worth, Texas
5. Re: Updated Itinerary - Need Some Help on Final Days

Thank you!

We are committed to keeping the car. I normally travel via train, but this trip we want the car for impromptu exploring.

In looking on Michelin, the drive from salzburg to bamburg through landshut is over 5 hrs. That seems like a lot of driving! But then it would put me closer to Berlin and less driving on subsequent days.

Reply to: Updated Itinerary - Need Some Help on Final Days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted