We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good town in southern germany to stay in

byron bay
reviews: 4
Good town in southern germany to stay in

My wife and I (ages:..mid 60's) will be in Germany late June-early July for 2 weeks. We would like to stay for at least a week in a town or smaller city in southern Germany w/o having to pack/unpack each day. Hence a BnB or small apartment would be suitable. We would like to, where possible, use public transport to visit places of interest and note that in Baden-Wurtemburg a daily train pass is available. Can anyone advise on a town that would be central, enabling us to make daily visits to view the more iconic castles, medieval towns and also see some of the beautiful German countryside and forests. I will visit sites recommended on the relevant TA forum but I was hoping for some views to reduce the amount of research. Vielen Dank, Franz

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
1. Re: Good town in southern germany to stay in

Here is a rail map of Baden-Wuerttemberg- bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/deutschlanderle… . The geographical center of the state is in Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) which is our favorite town in Germany. However, the central place with the best rail connections is Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) which is by far the largest city and capital. For things to see in and around Stuttgart, have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…46656711 . If based there, you have three options for group day tickets: the local VVS ( www.vvs.de ) network for in and around Stuttgart; a Metropolticket which is slightly cheaper than a Baden-Wuerttemberg ticket and covers areas of Wuerttemberg centered on Stuttgart further out; and the Baden-Wuerttemberg ticket which covers the entire German state and a few places beyond its borders.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
2. Re: Good town in southern germany to stay in

" We would like to, where possible, use public transport to visit places of interest and note that in Baden-Wurtemburg a daily train pass is available. ... a town that would be central, enabling us to make daily visits to view the more iconic castles, medieval towns and also see some of the beautiful German countryside and forests."

Cochem on the Mosel River, half way between Trier and Koblenz, is a great choice. Cochem has its own castle, an enchanting and excellently preserved old town center and many apartment options.

http://www.cochem.de/

Train daypasses are available virtually everywhere in Germany; from Cochem you'd likely use the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket, or the 1-day or 3-day VRM mini-group ticket:

vrminfo.de/en/…

vrminfo.de/en/…

Nearby destinations:

Burg Eltz - one of the finest castle experiences in Germany - is just a few miles away. Trier, Germany's oldest city and ancient Roman outpost, involves a short ride by direct train. Koblenz, Braubach (home of Marksburg Castle), Boppard, St. Goar (Rheinfels Castle) and other Rhine towns are also easy to reach:

www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php…

River cruises, biking, and wineries are popular in the immediate area. The falconry show at Cochem's castle is awesome; see photos here:

falknerei-reichsburg-cochem.de/fotobuch.htm

How about a local festival? Zell (a handsome village not far from Cochem) is celebrating 150 years of Zeller Schwarze Katz wine beginning June 28 with a big 4-day wine fest - parades, wine stands, live music, and fireworks on Sunday night:

(Fest info is in German but there are photos) weinfest-zell-mosel.de/html/Programm_freitag…

Transportation from Cochem is excellent, with hourly or better train service in both directions from around 4:30 am until 11:00 or so at night.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
3. Re: Good town in southern germany to stay in

For a single base Baden-Württemberg is too big. Even if it is central.

An idea for the northern part is e.g. Mosbach which is on the Castle Road

http://www.mosbach.de/en/Culture+_+Tourism-p-1284/The+Mosbach+Experience/Out_and_About.html

you could do e.g. Heidelberg, Bad Wimpfen, Würzburg and Miltenberg from there. And of course the castles along the first part of the Castle Road (the Neckar Valley). E.g. Neckarsteinach with its 4 castles.

www.burgenstrasse.de/showpage.php…

www.burgenstrasse.de/showpage.php…

And in the southern part e.g. Sigmaringen with its castle

sigmaringen.de/k4cms/de/tourist/weitere_sehe…

http://schloss-sigmaringen.de/homepage.html

image brochure

sigmaringen.de/media/sigmaringen_imagebrosch…

accommodation brochure

sigmaringen.de/media/pdf-dokumente/hauptamt/…

or Tuttlingen (not as nice as Sigmaringen but the even more important train knot)

http://www.tuttlingen.de/497

Both are at the Danube and between both is the scenic Upper Danube Valley. With Beuron Abbey and plenty of castles.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Danube_Nature_Park

www.donaubergland.de/mcms.php…

You can ask the local tourist offices of further information material. That some websites are not available in English must not mean that they don't have printed information also in English.

While the Baden-Württemberg Ticket is an option - for the closer destinations the offers of the local public transport associations are even better. And come without the "past 9am only on weekdays" restriction of the Baden-Württemberg Ticket. E.g. you can reach all places I listed for Mosbach on cheaper VRN day tickets. And these are even all just in the eastern half of the VRN area.

vrn.de/vrn/…index.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 32
4. Re: Good town in southern germany to stay in

I recommend Heidelberg because it is lovely on its own, and also has good train connections.

heidelberg-marketing.de/content/index_eng.ht…

You can travel easily to places like Speyer, Worms, Mainz, Baden-Baden, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, and even easily into France (Alsace, esp. Strasbourg and Wissembourg), as well as smaller towns like Ladeburg, Weinheim, Eberbach, Mosbach.

It is on the Neckar River (boat rides), has famous castle and university (most people speak some English). It is on the Castle Road and near one of the Wine Roads. You can go by boat or commuter train to many small castles and castle towns along the river.

Good luck!

byron bay
5. Re: Good town in southern germany to stay in

Thanks to all contributors. This is my evolving itinerary:

(Note: We fly out from Lyon, France night of 8th July to Australia. We plan to spend nights of 6-7 July in Lyon. )

We would be coming from Prague, into Germany (heading towards Lyon) about 22-23 June.

. We could stop in Nurnberg for a few days which would allow us to visit Wurzburg, Bamberg (possibly Rothenburg, Dinkelsbuhl) by train. Bamberg is well-regarded so it has priority in case we tire of packing bags;

. I have booked for 3 nights in Fussen. I am assuming we can take Deutsche-Bahn from Nurnberg to Fussen. Need we go via Munchen or is there another hub we can go through, e.g. Augsburg? We chose Fussen to visit Ludwig's castles but also to allow for side visits to Pfronten, possibly Mittenwald by bus if we so desired. Does anyone know if local buses operate between these towns?;

. Now comes the interesting part!! For 5-6 days early July which I would like to book accommodation for as it is start of holiday season I would like to visit part of Bodensee, travel along northern shore by train possibly stop 2 nights in one of Lindau, Friedrichshafen or Meersburg and and then work our way up to Strasbourg to be there, or going through there morning of 6th July.

. My questions are, for this part of the trip:

(a) Fussen and Kempton seem to be on different train lines but Kempton seems to be on line to Lindau. What is the best way to get to Bodensee from Fussen by public transport?

(b) Which of the towns on north shore of Bodensee would people recommend?

(c) Is it possible to go by train from western edge Bodensee to Strasbourg via train and if so is the route through Villingen, Triberg or is there another route that is preferable to take by train? If the former which of the towns would be the best place to stop to see some of the Schwarzenwald. May be couple day walks?

Comments greatly appreciated Thanks Franz

La Crosse, Wisconsin
6. Re: Good town in southern germany to stay in

In answer to your question (b), I'd recommend Meersburg. Meersburg's castle has an excellent self-guided tour which is well worth your time and the admission price.

In addition, depending on where you stay, you can fairly easily take the ferry to Konstanz and use public transport there to get to the Altstadt (20 mins or so by bus) or Mainau (10 mins by bus). From the Altstadt it's an easy walk into Switzerland.

byron bay
7. Re: Good town in southern germany to stay in

Thanks jurp, Meersberg gets other peoples' votes also so I'll look into accommodation there. Franz

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
8. Re: Good town in southern germany to stay in

a)

railway map Bavaria

bahnland-bayern.de/tl_files/bahnland-bayern/…

Either via Biessenhofen or Buchloe. Or bus to Reutte and by train from there to Kempten.

DB timetable gives automatically the fastest connections.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Füssen

Destination: Lindau Hbf

You may want to select as means of transport "only local transport" if you want to travel on a Bayern Ticket. Bus Füssen to Reutte (Austria) is not covered (EUR 4,20 pp). The trains from Reutte to Lindau however are.

c)

Yes. Route is (Lake Constance -) Singen - Donaueschingen - Villingen - Triberg - Offenburg (Strasbourg). The Black Forest Railway.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

map

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.png

Nicest towns are Villingen and Gengenbach.

Triberg could be a destination. Famous for Cuckoo Clocks. But as base not well suited as the town is a bit away from the train station.

Black Forest open air museum Vogtsbauernhof is also a must see on this route (train station Hausach)

http://en.vogtsbauernhof.org/

Kinzig Valley tourism

http://www.gastliches-kinzigtal.de/

When staying in Villingen or Gengenbach or in between you'll get a KONUS guest card which gives you free local public transport.

http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/konus

9. Re: Good town in southern germany to stay in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 10, 2014