We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train tour along the Rhine, Cologne to perhaps Basel

Basalt, Colorado
train tour along the Rhine, Cologne to perhaps Basel

my daughter is teaching felting wkshops in Amsterdam, Cologne and Wiesbaden in late June and early July, 2013; my brother and i are planning on meeting her during her travels and we are looking into training by train along the Rhine....any suggestions for a company? River cruises are already booked up and train.tourvacationstogo.com don't offer the cities we want; I'm thinking of calling railbookers.com......thanks

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
1. Re: train tour along the Rhine, Cologne to perhaps Basel

What do you need a tour company for? I really see no reason to pay a travel agency to organize a train trip.

Look up train connections and buy tickets right from the train company with the help of the webiste of German Railways: http://www.bahn.de (English version available) - and nowhere else, do not use any of the reselling agencies that will add hefty surcharges to the original fares.

Book hotels online in the cities you want, for example with the help of one of the big hotel portals like www.hrs.com - and there it is, your tailor-made itinerary.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
reviews: 2
2. Re: train tour along the Rhine, Cologne to perhaps Basel

The most scenic part of the Middle Rhine Valley is between Koblenz and Bingen or Rüdesheim. You could see that either on your way from Cologne to Wiesbaden or even as an excursion from Wiesbaden. There are frequent trains on either side of the river.

Several companies offer boat trips on the Rhine, the largest of these is Köln-Düsseldorfer.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 75
3. Re: train tour along the Rhine, Cologne to perhaps Basel

Make sure you spend a couple of days exploring Mainz - just across the river from Weisbaden (and sharing a local transport organisation for tickets) Heaps to see, and as a creative girl, I'm sure your daughter would especially love the Gutenberg museum and printing shop. Lots of other stuff to keep everyone busy.

Hamburg, Germany
4. Re: train tour along the Rhine, Cologne to perhaps Basel

Heidelberg, Speyer and Strasbourg are good stops if you continue south to Basel.

5. Re: train tour along the Rhine, Cologne to perhaps Basel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 28, 2014