We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laundry facilities

Altoona, Pa
Laundry facilities

Do Most hotels in germany have laundry facilities for travelers use? Coin operated? Are they expensive?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Laundry facilities

Hotels? Never seen one. Never searched one - but it's unlikely.

Some backpacker hostels have such facilities. Also many campsites.

In bigger cities (and only there) you can find also laundromats (German: Waschsalon).

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 101
2. Re: Laundry facilities

If it's like France, the washing machines and dryers tend to have small capacity. The dryers are especially expensive (compared to the US) to operate in laundromats because of energy consumption.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
3. Re: Laundry facilities

It's acatually quite a bit of trouble to locate a "Waschsalon" and figure out how to use the machines, and expensive to pay for them. My strategy for normal trips of 1-3 weeks:

1.) Hand wash socks and undies every 3-days or so as you find it convenient. A lightweight travel clothesline (I have one like an oversized rubberband with hooks) works pretty well.

2.) Book some private B&B's into your travel schedule, places where hosts often assist guests with their wash for a very small fee, for your shirts and pants. You can even inquire about this possibility before booking.

3.) Official DJH German youth hostels - the larger ones anyway - often have relatively inexpensive machines on hand for guests.

4.) Wear my clothes a little longer than I might normally at home. That's tends to be the German way anyway.

Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 32
4. Re: Laundry facilities

Most decent hotels will offer a laundry service - they take your clothes away and wash and iron, but it is expensive (several euro per piece).

If you are travelling I would go with the previous suggestion and hand wasch your clothes and dry overnight. Most hotels will let you borrow an iron and board.

Either that or buy new clothes as you go along!