We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany for 5 days - some tips........

Mumbai
reviews: 34
Germany for 5 days - some tips........

Hello

Myself (50), wife (45) and son (21) are planning for a one week trip in May 2012 as follows:

20/05 Fly in to Munich and rent a car.

20/05 to 25/05 Munich - Stuttgart - Berlin by car

26/05 to 27/05 Prague by car

28/05 Vienna - return car and join our friends for another trip

Does the above make sense - and any general tips for this trip?

Thx !

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Germany for 5 days - some tips........

You could do this as well by train. A car is in these big cities of no real use. Public transport there is faster (find parking, average speed) and cheaper (parking fees).

At max rent a car when leaving Munich and return it when arriving in Berlin.

Prague

Some German rental companies don't allow you to drive into the Czech Republic at all. Others only with their cheaper cars (no Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW). For the Czech autobahns you need a vignette (toll sticker). The city center of Prague is the most car unfriendly of these cities. Secure parking is in Prague a must.

Vienna

For the Austrian autobahns you need a vignette.

If you rent in Munich and return in Vienna you will have to pay a international drop off fee. Which can be quite steep (an employee has to drive the car back to Germany).

Hamburg, Germany
2. Re: Germany for 5 days - some tips........

Munich, Stuttgart, Berlin, Prague and Vienna in week? I would cut out at least two places.

Besides that, the cost for a rental car that is picked up in Munich and dropped of in Vienna and is allowed to be taken in the Czech Republich would be horrendous. You would also have to pay toll in Austria and in the Czech Republic. I'd cut Berlin and Stuttgart and take trains from Munich to Prague and then from Prague to Vienna. Or start in Berlin (3 days) - Dresden (1 day) - Prague (1 day) - Vienna and use trains as well.

Mumbai
3. Re: Germany for 5 days - some tips........

Abalada and efp53:

Thanks - I think we will rent the car in Munich and drop it off in Berlin - thus keeping the rental in Germany.

My son wants to see the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart - hence this visit. Else, I see no reason to visit here.

So:

Day 1 (Sunday) Reach Munich at 7am by overnight flight from Mumbai and drive to Stuttgart , overnight at Stuttgart.

Day 2 Museum and then drive to Berlin (5-6 hrs?). Return the car next day.

Day 3, 4 Berlin

Day 5 Train to Prague

Day 6, 7 Prague

Day 8 Train to Vienna

Or something on these lines..........

Thx !

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
4. Re: Germany for 5 days - some tips........

"My son wants to see the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart - hence this visit. Else, I see no reason to visit here."

There are just as good things to see and do in and around Stuttgart as anywhere else in Germany, and some are much better. It is the birthplace of the automobile and where it is still commercialized. Both the Mercedes Benz and Porsche Museums are excellent. I'm sure that there is no better automobile museum than the Mercedes Benz one which documents the over 125 year history of the automobile and this firm in the form of 160 vehicles in an architecturally interesting museum. Simply put, the museum is loved by people of all ages, both genders, and even people that don't particularly like cars.

For some ideas of other things to do, just click on my name and look at my many contributions for this part of Germany, although you don't appear to have the time to do much.

Mumbai
5. Re: Germany for 5 days - some tips........

Thanks Marco!

We are now at looking adding 2 days - so as to get more time in Stuttgart and generally making our trip a little more flexible.

Will look at your posts soon.

What weather should we expect in May end? - 20C high and 10C low - or something similar?

For car rental - Europcar seems to be giving us a good deal.

Thx

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
6. Re: Germany for 5 days - some tips........

"What weather should we expect in May end? - 20C high and 10C low - or something similar?"

Probably something somewhat warmer, usually very pleasant weather.

7. Re: Germany for 5 days - some tips........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, January 09, 2013