We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Bavaria

Jo
reviews: 32
Where to stay in Bavaria

Hi all

I'm planning to visit Bavaria end of June, however not sure in which city I shall stay ... Ideally I will be visiting neuschwanstein castle, romantic road, black forrest ... Not sure if I shall stay in Munich itself and do day trips? Shall I stay in Fussen? Other city or town that you would recommend?!

We are a group of 4, early 30s, and this is our first trip to Bavaria .. We will be spending a total of 4 days.

Thanks

Marwan

Luneburg, Germany
reviews: 38
1. Re: Where to stay in Bavaria

Hi Mar_Sam_Jo,

first of all the Black forrest is not in bavaria its about 4 hours by car west of Munich in the State Baden-Wurtenberg.

It's nice there but if you're looking for Mountains and Forrests you could stay in Bavaria.

But I won't stay the hole time in Munich and would look for a smaller town to get the real bavaria culture and landscape.

I've been at Bad Tölz, Kempten and Oberstdorf and with a rental car it will be easy to go arround and to the kitchy and tourist crowded Castle Neuschwanstein.

For only 4 days I would stay 1-2 days in Munich and then you could drive to Neuschwanstein in about 1:40 hours. Then it's another 1 hour drive to Obersdorf and here you could discover the Alps on the next day.

But I think Munich, Neuschwanstein Castle, Black Forrest and Romantic Road would be to much for only 4 days and because of the Holidays the Freeways will be crowded so I would stay in Bavaria and do a quick roundtrip to the Castle and Mountains.

Edited: 6:44 am, January 02, 2012
USA
reviews: 32
2. Re: Where to stay in Bavaria

Yes, forget the Romantic Road with the time you have available. Plenty to see and do focusing on sights south of Munich and in Munich.

Besides Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles in Hohenschwangau, there's the Wieskirche, Oberammergau, Linderhof Palace, Ettal, the Zugspitze, Herrenchiemsee, Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, etc. More than enough for 4 days.

You could day trip from Munich, or spend a couple of days in Munich then head either to the Hohenschwangau/Fuessen area and see the sights around there for a couple of days, or head to the Berchtesgaden/Salzburg area and see the sights in that area for a couple of days.

Or reverse it, stay outside of Munich a couple of days and then end your trip in Munich for the last day or two.

3. Re: Where to stay in Bavaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, January 27, 2013