We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt Hahn

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 23
Frankfurt Hahn

We will be flying into Frankfurt Hahn via Ryanair. I was wondering if anyone who has been to Hahn can reassure me that it is easy to locate. I assume it is not a really busy airport. We will be renting a car. Are the car rental places handy. I have been to some airports where you must search for a shuttle, but I did not see this about Hahn.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
1. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

Hahn airport is only slightly smaller than the plane you get out of :-)

Calgary, Canada
2. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

Thanks altamiro that's funny! I'm sure there will be no problem then!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
3. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

information and map showing the car rental places

www.hahn-airport.de/default.aspx…

Calgary, Canada
4. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

Wow, you know the place is small when the Go-Kart track is larger than the terminal. Looks like everything is handy though, thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
5. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

You should realize that Ryanair has only a 15 kg luggage limitation, other discount carriers have 20 kg before you have to pay excess baggage charges.

Calgary, Canada
6. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

Thanks Marco. I knew this and we're just having to be careful or we'll have to pay more. But the cost of travel this way is still very economic even if you pay a bit more. I suppose if you get to the airport and didn't know this it could be a shock. Have you tavelled by Ryanair before?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
7. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

I used to visit my daughter in London flying Ryanair from Friederichshafen to London Stansted when we used to visit my mother-in-law on vacation when she lived near there. Now that we live in Stuttgart, I fly Germanwings as Stuttgart is a hub city for them. Last month I flew to London with them for 1 euro each way, but after the additional charges it came to 32 euros one way! still an inexpensive flight.

A fellow passenger drove to Stuttgart from Munich, about twice the distance of Munich to Salzburg (a Ryanair destination), because he disliked Ryanair so much and much prefered Germanwings. However, I personally noticed little difference between the two airlines, although Germanwings has a higher baggage allowance and probably treats people better as a whole. I've never heard any bad things about them, in contrast to Ryanair with its fairly frequent complaints and Germanwings destinations are actually in or near the cities, not out in the middle of nowhere like "Frankfurt" Hahn or distant like Hamburg (really Luebeck).

Calgary, Canada
8. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

We're sort of fortunate with Hahn that we really wanted to be in that area anyway. But I can see what you mean that it would be a problem. Yeah if you really were looking for a specific type of service you would need to be pickier. You are fortunate to be living there with the choices that you have. Here in Canada we have no choice for discount airlines. I don't think we'll go wrong with Ryanair, but we will not expect the world from them either.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 21
9. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

The good thing with Hahn is that you're close to the Rhine and Moselle river valleys (at least if you prefer the countryside and its scenery to the big cities).

Calgary, Canada
10. Re: Frankfurt Hahn

Hi just here, that's exactly what we're planning to do. We'd love to see some of the cities in Germany but that will have to be another time. You just can't do it all, unfortunately.