We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malta, Idaho
Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

We are a group of 4 adults and 2 kids ( 10 yrs and 4 yrs old) and planning to spend a week in Lyons. Any suggestions on the best and cheaper way to go from airport to our destination in Vaise arrondissement in Lyons, and back a week later? And would a week be too much to spend exploring the city? Thanks

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
reviews: 41
1. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

The Vaise area wouldn't be my first choice to stay in Lyon, but I guess you have your reasons. And anyway it's easily accessible from the centre by the automatique metro D line. To get to your hotel I'd propose to use transport or taxi companies. For 6 people it will be more convenient and less expensive than the means of public transportation (RhoneExpress + metro combination). For instance, Airport Connect - http://www.airportconnect.fr/ :around 83 euros any place in Lyon for a group of up to 8 people.

Malta, Idaho
2. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

Thanks Darth Feanor:) So do you think that 6 days exploring Lyons would be good enough? We want to take things in our stride, exploring and walking around where necessary:)

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
3. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

All depends when you're going. In good season I'd say a week in Lyon won't be too much. You'll be able to see the essential in 2 full days, but at a slower pace you'll enjoy it more. The left bank of the Rhone river with pedestrian and bike paths and with its numerous cafes, bars and restaurants is unique in France and is fantastic for a morning or an afternoon stroll with kids. The same goes for the Parc of the Tete d'Or, the biggest urban park in France with a nice lake and a zoo. That's of course beside the traditional itinerery of sightseeing. In winter season the choice will be more limited and I would not advice on spending a whole week in Lyon.

Moreover you can always venture outside of Lyon for a daytrip: Vienne, Perouges, Bourg-en-Bresse with Royal monastery de Brou or Annecy (although the trip to the latter will be expensive for a group of 6).

Malta, Idaho
4. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

We're going first week of April coming:) Also thinking of spending a day at Sainte Foy Les Lyons, a 20 min bus ride from Lyons according to Wiki. Thanks a lot for your help!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
reviews: 30
5. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

I am afraid there is nothing in Ste Foy les Lyon worth spending a day! I am curious to know why you would get there?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
6. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

I wanted to ask the same question. =)

Malta, Idaho
7. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

Hi! Wiki describes Sainte Foy as a quaint place with beautiful views of the city and many colorful gardens. But of course I'm always open to your suggestions. Thanks Only Lyons and Darth Feanor:)

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
reviews: 30
8. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

Regarding both the views and the gardens:

You will have even nicer views over the city from Fourvière hill and from Saint Just (you'll get there when you'll visit the roman theaters and museum).

When you're up Fourvière, there is a large and beautiful garden called "Parc des hauteurs", don't miss it.

If I were you, I would explore more of Lyon, have 1 or 2 day trips among those Darth_Feanor recommend and just skip Sainte-Foy!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
9. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

Ste Foy is a decent residential area just outside of Lyon. There are the remains of the Roman aqueduct, but not very impressive, and that's about it. View on Lyon are ok, but not fantastic as well with the only possible exception - on the confluence of the Rhone and Saone rivers. The best views on Lyon are from the Fourviere and the Croix Rousse hills. The most traditional spot you can't miss - it's beside the Fourviere basilica, but there are better and almost tourist free places. For example an exceptional panorama offers the hidden small garden on the Place de l'Abbé Larue square, just behind the imposing Lycée Saint Just.

I have a huge personal collections of Lyon photos, so I think I'll prepare soon a photo album with sights and descriptions for future referencies. It will give a general idea what to expect from the France's 2nd largest city.

…staticflickr.com/6111/6291074618_9aefb42a3a…

…staticflickr.com/7118/8074934488_a3c1198df3…

…staticflickr.com/8066/8248203370_e2fb1a4499…

10. Re: Transport from Saint Exupery Airport to Vaise Lyons,and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 17, 2014