We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New year's eve & day

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LONDON
reviews: 19
New year's eve & day

Hello,

I'm wondering if there are any fireworks planned for NYE? I did research this recently and could not find any events planned - seems historically there are none in Lyon for NYE.

Also, could anyone recommend some areas to spend New Year's Day, as i'm presuming major shops are closed. Is there any area which will have more restaurants open than others?

As it falls on a Sunday, would any markets be open?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited: 6:45 am, December 06, 2011
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
reviews: 41
1. Re: New year's eve & day

Indeed on the 1st of January many restaurants will be closed. Your choice will be mostly restricted to the area of the two touristic streets - rue Merciere and rue des Marronniers and the near vicinity. On the bright side even on these streets there are some decent restaurants, for instance Le Layon and Le Merciere are not bad at all. Or you can give a try to a brasserie of Paul Bocuse, of which 2 - Le Sud and Le Nord - are centrally located. The quality of what you have in your plate there is also guaranteed. Many of the bars and cafes in this area, in Vieux Lyon and especially around Opera and Place Terreaux will be open on the 1st of January as well.

As for the fireworks, unless i'm much mistaken there are none on the New Year Eve in Lyon, only on the 14th of July. Two years ago we had fireworks on the 8th of December, but that was exceptional.

Edited: 12:39 pm, December 06, 2011
LONDON
2. Re: New year's eve & day

Thanks Darth-Feanor for your reply, i'm glad i have an idea of where to go on the 1st.

LONDON
3. Re: New year's eve & day

Hello,

Just another question if i may please, regarding New Year's Day - would Parc de la Tête d'Or be open and the sunday river markets?

I've checked the park website and it appears to be open all year round, but grateful for any experience.

Are there any particular areas/major streets near the park which i should visit whilst there?

Thank you.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
reviews: 41
4. Re: New year's eve & day

BARTSTAR, the site for Lyon says that Marche St.Antoine, the Lyon's trademark market, is open all year round including the 1st of January. But I can't confirm it by personal experience as I never was there on that date. It won't be time consuming for you to give it a try though, as this market is right in the heart of the city. Parc de la Tete d'Or on the other hand will definetely be open. You'll see a lot of people jogging there even in the early morning. The area around the Parc is not that interesting - Lyon's 6th arrondissement to the South and Villeurbanne to the East - both are very much residential areas. In the 6th arrondissement there are a lot of very good restaurants, but in this area they will be closed on the 1st of January. To the North-East of the Parc there is another green zone - Parc de la Feyssine, but it is not very attractive this time of year. Finally to the West and North of Parc there is Cité Internationale and Congress Centre, which will also be dead quiet on the first day of New Year. So better stick to the Parc itself. If the weather is good there will be a lot of people by midday, if not you may feel very much deserted as the joggers normally take the perimeter.

Anyway I wish you a very nice stay in Lyon!

Edited: 8:03 am, December 09, 2011
LONDON
5. Re: New year's eve & day

Thank you Darth_Feanor for so much helpful advice, much appreciated.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
reviews: 30
6. Re: New year's eve & day

Saint Antoine market will be open on January 1st, but with reduced stalls though -you won't find all merchants there.

There is no outdoor fireworks in Lyon, but there is a concert with fireworks actually: Lyon National Orchestra's performance at the Auditorium is usually great (on 31st evening or January 1st afternoon)

www.auditorium-lyon.com/onl_info/index.htm

7. Re: New year's eve & day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 18, 2012