We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to the city from airport.

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex Uk
reviews: 5
Best way to get to the city from airport.

Hi. Please could someone advise us of the best way to get to the Mercure Beaux Artes hotel from the airport.

I have used the airport shuttle bus to the main station previously but how can I proceed from there?

Is ther another bus route? any help welcomed. We are arriving on Sunday afternoon. Thanks

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
reviews: 28
1. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

The Satobus shuttle you used doesn't exist any more. There is now a new tramway line called Rhonexpress; My recommandation is that you take the tram to Vaulx en Velin la Soie and take the métro there to Cordeliers, it is the easiest and quickest way to do it (if you get to terminus stop -Part-Dieu train station-, you would have to cross the train station to reach the métro, and then to take 2 métro lines, that is far too difficult in my opinion).

You will find all useful infos there:

www.rhonexpress.fr/presentation/?rub_code=81

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 51
2. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

Does your RhoneExpress fare include a connection to the Metro or do you need to purchase a separate tickets?

Essex Uk
reviews: 5
3. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

Thank you. I have checked the web site and I can buy the tram tickets on line. What do you suggest we do about second part of the journey? what kind of ticket do we need for that? can we buy on line or best to buy at the station.

Thanks very much for any ideas!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
4. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

Unfortunately Rhônexpress ticket does not include the métro/bus connection (it is not operated by the same company!).

You'll be able to buy a métro ticket at any vending machine when you'll arrive (no need to buy it online). Here is Lyon public transportation network website with all useful infos in English

www.tcl.fr/index.asp?page=visitor_price

Granite Bay, CA
5. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

I would like to travel in the opposite direction: from the Hotel Carlton to the airport so I can pick up a rental car. What is the approximate cost if I take the Metro from Cordeliers to Vaulx en Velin la Soie, then take RhoneExpress to the airport? Is it that much cheaper (and not that much longer) than taking a taxi directly from hotel to airport? Thanks.

Brooklyn, New York
6. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

Thank you for your help - We are actually staying at the Carlton which is close to the originally planned hotel.

We plan on taking the Rhone Express to Vaulx en Velin la Soie followed by the metro A to Station Bellecour and walk.

Brooklyn, New York
7. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

Question - can we not buy the following ticket for the Tram and Metro?

www.rhonexpress.fr/presentation/…

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
8. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

Yes you can buy this pass if you find it more convenient.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
9. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

If budget allows, take Rhone Express to the end of the line (Gare de la Part Dieu), then get a taxi from the stand right across the street. The cost to Carlton is in the neighborhood of 10-12 Euros.

For the Rhone Express itself, note that the departure platform is downstairs all the way beyond the end of the TGV platform. Keep walking all the way down.

Brooklyn, New York
10. Re: Best way to get to the city from airport.

Is there a significant time/cost savings to taking a taxi versus the metro?