We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets (Christmas & Sunday AM)

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roanoke, Virginia
reviews: 5
Markets (Christmas & Sunday AM)

My husband and I are currently living in Switzerland and wanted to take a cheap, quick weekend trip - Lyon came highly recommended to us, so we are looking at coming doing a Sat./Sun trip this weekend.

We would really like to see the Christmas market and the Sunday morning market but I wanted to make sure that these are 2 different things - am I correct? Is the Sunday morning market (Les Puces du Canal?) generally antiques or more similar to a typical market (like Annecy's - is it as nice as Annecy's?) Is the Christmas market on Sat. evening?

We are also having a very hard time finding anywhere to stay on Saturday night. I know it's last minute, but I'm worried about Christmas crowds. Is this an indication of a huge crowd?

And, obviously, any special recommendations? We are on a tight budget so probably won't do any big fancy meals, but we are definitely foodies and love street/market food, bakeries and chocolate shops.

Thanks!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
reviews: 28
1. Re: Markets (Christmas & Sunday AM)

It will be very tricky to find a room anywhere I am afraid, as it is the Festival of Lights weekend, one of the busiest of the year! As you obviously did not focus on this event, I suggest that you postpone your trip.

http://www.fetedeslumieres.lyon.fr/

The Christmas market is a seasonal thing, whereas there are several Sunday markets all year round : a food market, an art and craft market and a used book market along the Saône banks (my favourites, but there are other markets in other neighborhoods), and an antiques market out of the city center (Puces du Canal).

2. Re: Markets (Christmas & Sunday AM)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 06, 2011