We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother- daughter trip in Alpine France and Switzerland

Which Grenoble hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Mother- daughter trip in Alpine France and Switzerland

Hello,

I will be traveling with my 11 year old daughter to France in August for 3 weeks. We already have a week in Paris and a week in Provence mapped out. We have friends in Le Sappey near Grenoble who we will visit for a few days and from there would like to jump around alpine france and switzerland. We have about a week to play with. I would love to take my daughter to Genevea, Mt Blanc, Chamonix, etc. Does anyone have any suggested itineraries? Must sees? I think I would like to do the train to make it easy and we have done over night trains in China so would like to do that in europe, too.

My husband and other kids will meet us later in the trip, but this is our special time together. Can't wait!

Open to any and all ideas!!

thanks!

Frascati, Italy
reviews: 5
1. Re: Mother- daughter trip in Alpine France and Switzerland

Hi,

Not really an itinerary, but a few suggestions of things you may enjoy.

Annecy in the French Alps - a lovely old town with a network of canals on lake Annecy. For me that would be a must see (although it can be very busy in August).

Chamonix in France - yes, with a trip on the cogwheel railway chamonix.net/english/…valley_trains.htm

In Switzerland - last year we stayed 2 weeks on Lake Lucerne which was wonderful, the scenery and so many things to do. The pilatus mountain railway was one of the best trips - http://www.pilatus.ch/content-n38-sE.html. Also a trip on the lake on one of the old paddle steamers.

Lake Geneva - we are planning this years holiday there, staying at Montreux. A couple of things we have already picked out

Glacier 3000 for the day - www.glacier3000.ch/index.cfm…

There is an alpine roller coaster, trips on dog sleds, a snow bus that takes you across the glacier.

The Goldenpass trains - www.goldenpass.ch/default.asp?popAgenda=hide, which has several trips that look good, such as the VIP seats where you get the same view as the driver, a chocolate train, trips on old Orient Express style trains.

As for a trip to Geneva I'm not sure I would. It is a nice town, but really not much there for an 11 year old. I would use the train to get around, especially in Switzerland, the train network is very good, reliable and not too expensive.

Hope this helps as a start

Alison

Connecticut
2. Re: Mother- daughter trip in Alpine France and Switzerland

thanks Alison!

I was in Annecy right out of college and loved it- so thanks for reminding me. Your links are terrific! I am grateful for your feedback. Have a great day!

Elisabeth

Frascati, Italy
reviews: 5
3. Re: Mother- daughter trip in Alpine France and Switzerland

Hi Elisabeth,

Glad you found it useful. Our holidays are planned with a 4 year old train crazy boy in mind, so a little different from you! One other things we did last year in Switzerland was a steam train trip over the Furka Pass - a great day out for my son, but we enjoyed it just as much. Maybe your daughter would as well, it is certainly something different. Details are at

www.furka-bergstrecke.ch/eng/index.htm.

If you are thinking of Switzerland regulars on the Tripadvisor Swiss forum are very helpful with ideas.

Have a good holiday

Alison

4. Re: Mother- daughter trip in Alpine France and Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, November 22, 2009