We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountains in July

Which Evian-les-Bains hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
reviews: 7
Mountains in July

Hi everyone!

Have just returned from Lac Leman where I was checking out things to do and places to visit with lots of teenagers in the summer. Thanks to all your advice - especially yarpos - I saw some wonderful places. Our concert venues look brilliant - especially in Lausanne. One thing left to organise. I know that the students will want to get as close to "real mountains" as they can! Which is best from Evian les Bains? Chamonix, the train to Montenvers and the Mer de Glace or Les Diablerets. It would have to be achievable in one day, the only day that we don't have a concert in the evening.

Any help gratefully received.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
1. Re: Mountains in July

If they want to encounter crazy mountaineers (like me) gearing up for or convalescing from summit attempts, go to Chamonix.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
reviews: 81
2. Re: Mountains in July

If you have a car, Chamonix is an easy day trip from Evian. I lived in Evian for a year and made this trip with several times. We would drive to Chamonix, go through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Italy, have lunch there (Courmayeur) and drive home overland (Mount Saint Bernard pass, I think!) all easily in one day. If you want to go up the cable car at Mont Blanc you should check into how to get tickets in advance if possible to avoid lineups. We also took the train up to the Mer de Glace and this would probably be of most interest to the teenagers.

Our family also took a day trip to Les Diablerets. This was in October. It was still warm by the lake (palm trees in Montreux, but there was snow at the top. The scenery was lovely and the rail car ride was great.

London
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
reviews: 31
3. Re: Mountains in July

Montenvers is great, but from Chamonix it might be better to go up the Aiguille du Midi - the highest cable car in Europe - much more dramatic, and you can usually see some climbers on Mont Blanc.

www.flickr.com/photos/jordics/451616513/

Then, on the way down, you can stop off at the midstation for a quick 15min hike to a small lake which is very pretty and clearly signposted.

The only thing I'd suggest about both of these is to keep an eye on the weather forecast before you pre-book the tickets (which will save a lot of time and is well worth doing) as it's no good if you can't see anything, which can happen at any time of year.

http://meteo.chamonix.com/MetPreE.php

generally very accurate weather forecasting

4. Re: Mountains in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 05, 2009