We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing Europe January 2014

Which Courchevel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Skiing Europe January 2014

I am looking for a ski resort that can accommodate myself and my daughter 23 years where we can both have a good time. I am probably looking at a larger resort as I won't be skiing all day every day.

I will be flying in to the resort from Rome and then flying on to London. My daughter has never ski-ed before and I haven't for 30 years so we need something appropriate.

Any suggestions most welcome.

9 replies to this topic
Talloires, France
reviews: 26
1. Re: Skiing Europe January 2014

There is so much to choose from!

Courchevel 1850 is a posh resort, so anything off the piste does cost quite a bit but there are some Spa hotels there and also more fine-dining restaurants then anywhere else in the world.

You could fly to Geneva and the journey from there is around 2 hrs.

You can have a look at Chamonix as well, which is a proper town and has plenty to offer when you aren't skiing. The only issue is that getting on the slopes is a bit more of a pain than in some purpose-built resorts.

My number one choice would be Zermatt in Switzerland though. It just has everything, mountain village charm, great food, friendly people, fab hotels...

But there are some great resorts in Italy as well!

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Skiing Europe January 2014

Thank you very much for your suggestions which I'll be checking out today.

Could you give me the names of some good resorts in Italy.

Talloires, France
reviews: 26
3. Re: Skiing Europe January 2014

Yo could have a look at Courmayeur for skiing the Alps or somewhere like Val Gardena for the Dolomites.

Cortina d'Ampezzo is probably the most fashionable resort in Italy and there is a lot to do off the slopes as well.

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Skiing Europe January 2014

Thank you very much for all your information.

Oz en Oisans, France
reviews: 4
5. Re: Skiing Europe January 2014

Hello, If your daughter has never skiied it is a good idea that she has lessons, and the cheapest is for her to take 'ski school'. If money is no issue then private lessons can be good too, although a benefit of ski school is that you will meet other people. As for resort choose one which is beginner friendly - of course we are biased and would recommend Oz/ Alpe d'Huez. If you book a chalet style holiday you will meet lots of other people which would give you someone to ski with whilst your daughter is learning. Although there are no posh shops in AdH there are lots of walking paths in the mountains accessible by the ski lifts and other non skiing activities. January skiing is cold but also hot if you are in the sun! Wrap up warm. Enjoy your skiing.

Edited: 4:39 pm, June 10, 2013
Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Skiing Europe January 2014

Thank you very much for your information. It's been very helpful.

NT
reviews: 24
7. Re: Skiing Europe January 2014

We had an amazing ski trip in Roccasaro 2 hours from Rome last January it was incredible value and not on the tourist path.

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: Skiing Europe January 2014

I haven't heard of this place but will definitely check it out.

Thanks!

Manchester
reviews: 18
9. Re: Skiing Europe January 2014

Why not stay in Italy - easier.

The Aosta valley resorts (Courmayeur etc) are not that large, and from what you say may not suit. What may are the two large linked areas in Italy - The Milky Way (Via Lattea) - not altogether snow sure, but large - and the Sella Ronda. The key resort in the latter is Cortina - stylish and with lots to do other than skiing. The key resorts in the former are Sauze d'Oulx (lively) and Sestriere. These are both in easy rach of Turin by train.

The Sella Ronda resorts are Austrian style - you stay in the valley and ride up to the slopes. This means you tend to be in real towns.

Reply to: Skiing Europe January 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted