We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking conditions?

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, England...
reviews: 3
Hiking conditions?

Hi,

We will arrive in Les Houches next week (22nd June) and had planned to do the first half of the TMB, but looking at the weather conditions it looks like this might not be possible. I see that the weather has heated up in the last week or so does anyone know how the TMB route from Les Houches->Les Contamines->Les Chapieux->Courmayeur is looking this week. I saw an update during the week saying that the Col du Bonhomme is still snow covered.

Thanks,

Thomas

Sydney
reviews: 1
1. Re: Hiking conditions?

We're also doing the full TMB starting Monday 24 June. As the official TMB website hasn't updated its "trail conditions" listing in a week, the best place for updates on conditions is this website:

ohm-chamonix.com/…jp1

and they have an office in Chamonix.

We're definitely planning to do the whole circuit but it seems that we'll be walking thru a lot of snow and most likely unable to attempt any of the variants due to excess snow/avalance danger.

Cambridge, England...
2. Re: Hiking conditions?

Yes it seems that pretty much all of the variants will not be possible - given the way the weather has been, I'll be happy if we can avoid having to skip any of the stages.

I was hoping to do the variant on the first day but need to find out that status of the suspension bridge and col de tricot and if the refuge de miage or auberge du truc are open.

Might see you along the route next week!

Chamonix, France
3. Re: Hiking conditions?

I was talking to an accompagnateur last night and she said the hut at the top of the Bonhomme is still completely covered with snow (4m+). So I'd say hold off!

Helsinki
reviews: 1
4. Re: Hiking conditions?

That sounds bad...

I'm starting the GR5 the 28th of June from St. Gingolph and arriving Chamonix region five days later.

I'm worried now about the amount of snow and safe walking condition without snow equipment? GR5 goes along the TMB for few days.

The weather seems to be rainy and chilly for the next days.

Cambridge, England...
5. Re: Hiking conditions?

Wow, thanks for the update on bonhomme. I think I've somewhat accepted that going over the col du bonhomme might be unrealistic given the current conditions. We might just walk up some of it and turn back when it get difficult. If we returned to Les contamines, is there a bus we could take to Les Chapieux and continue from there? I guess I can check with the tourist office in Les Contamines.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Hiking conditions?

we are also starting the TMB next week. nzfan - have you booked in advanced huts/motels or this is not mandatory...?

New York City, New...
7. Re: Hiking conditions?

tomk98_98 or anyone else who knows-do you think it make more sense, due to weather, to do the clockwise versus the anti clockwise?

Cambridge, England...
8. Re: Hiking conditions?

I see the official website has had some up to date messages in the last couple of days on the conditions:

autourdumontblanc.com/en/index.cfm/general-c…

The rope bridge for the day 1 Les Contamines variant has not been placed yet. There is a track across Col du bonhomme but I'm quite wary of the warnings how difficult/dangerous it is at the moment.

I haven't reserved any accommodation for the route, mostly because of not knowing yet where/when we'll be in places due to the conditions.

9. Re: Hiking conditions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 21, 2014