We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-catering costs

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
reviews: 13
Self-catering costs

What is a rough cost of staying self-catering for one week for group of 4 adults? Supermarket costs vs eating out? We are trying to weigh up whether it works out cheaper to go for a catered chalet.

Thanks

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia
reviews: 325
1. Re: Self-catering costs

This really depends on what you eat and how much you drink.

Food prices in the larger supermarkets in Chamonix aren't too dissimilar to prices in the UK. Beer is a cheaper (approximately €2/litre), wine is a bit cheaper. Fresh meat and fish is considerably more expensive.

Leeds
reviews: 13
2. Re: Self-catering costs

That's great, thank you. I just wondered in comparison to UK and you have answered that for me!

Its a judgement on whether I can be bothered to cook now really!

Thanks

:-)

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
reviews: 6
3. Re: Self-catering costs

I would differ with Biarritz, supermarket prices are very similar to UK, sometimes cheaper, rarely more expensive. It depends on what you eat.

I live there most of the year and do not find it too expensive.

I would say that the hypermarkets , especially Intermarche, in/near Sallanches are very good.

U Marche in Chamonix does have a good butchers dept.

4. Re: Self-catering costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 27, 2013