We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva, worth it?

Which Annecy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hessle, East...
reviews: 38
Geneva, worth it?

Hi all

Staying in Sevrier for a couple of weeks with my wife and little girl

I'm considering driving up to Geneva on Saturday.

Firstly, is it worth it? I hear mix reports including some locals saying "it's just another city" , others saying that walking around in the place is very interesting.

Secondly, I am planning on driving the non toll roads, I have a tomtom that can guide me through, is there any where suitable to park? I've heard parking is very expensive. In other cities I have travelled to the outskirts and got a train to the centre, but I can't find any suitable information. It's obviously made a little more difficult with having a young child. Advice appreciated.

Talloires, France
reviews: 26
1. Re: Geneva, worth it?

Personally I would visit Lyon, Chamonix or Yvoire in the area over Geneva. In my opinion Geneva is ok if you are there anyway and walk around for a few hours but it isn't that special. Lyon is a lot nicer.

Paris, France
2. Re: Geneva, worth it?

I don't find Geneva particularly interesting either, whether visually or in terms of atmosphere. I agree with the above suggestion of Yvoire (beautiful, quaint little village). I toured the lake in one day and Yvoire is by far the cutest place.

Hamburg, Germany
3. Re: Geneva, worth it?

I agree with both, Geneva is not really worth it... The only thing that impressed me and what I remember so far is the Jet d’eau...

Hessle, East...
reviews: 38
4. Re: Geneva, worth it?

Thank you for all the replies. Funnily enough after today with a very active 21 month year old we had talked ourselves out of a city trip.

We went to Chamonix today actually, and took the train up the the glacia. Expensive, but great day out, really enjoyed the ice caves, my little girl was in her element. I think we are going to take the recommendation of going to Yvoire as you have backed up what the Tourist Info lady in Sevirer said. Many thanks all.

I think without the little ants in her pants, we would go to Lyon as well, but might leave that until another year when she can appreciate the museums and so forth.

Thanks again.

5. Re: Geneva, worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 06, 2014