We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2D2N in Annecy, need Help!

Which Annecy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 22
2D2N in Annecy, need Help!

Hi All,

Thanks for reading this, I need help/advices/suggestions on my itinerary at Annecy. My Fiancee and I will be arriving on a Friday in August Via Train to Annecy Train Station arriving at about 11am.

1.Our Biggest Dilemma is whether to rent a Car around Annecy, we have plans to visit semnoz Plateau and from what I read is only accessible by Car.

2.I have read from this forum to Take the boat to visit the lakeside villages of Talloires and also cycle a 30km bike trail along the western side of the lake. The boat ride sounds good but the Cycling portion sounds a little hard for us if we have to cycle to and fro Annecy which will be 60KM in distance, can we return our bike somewhere and then take a boat back or something?

Not sure if this itinerary is good for a first time in Annecy, also little can be found on Semnoz Plateau, appreciate if one can advise what time or how long should I plan for to stay at Semnoz Plateau. As this is our first time at Annecy, will greatly appreciate all your suggestions and advices, Thanks Again!

Alvan

Annecy, France
reviews: 36
1. Re: 2D2N in Annecy, need Help!

Hi!

I'd say renting a car is the best option. Cargo and Europcar have offices opposite the station.

As you say, cycling to and from Talloires is a long way!

As for the Semnoz, think of it as a hill top rather than a plateau and, in other words, there isn't much to do except enjoy the view on the Mt Blanc range (especially at sun set). If you like hiking, there are nice paths starting from there (including an easy one that runs pretty flat along the top of the hill. Great views on 3 different lakes!)

It's accessible by bus (you can go up with your bike and cycle down)

Have a great time in Annecy!

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 22
2. Re: 2D2N in Annecy, need Help!

Hey Evmasson,

Thanks for your update, I guess I better rent a car then especially when it is the peak period where the buses and boat rides will be packed. Will definitely check out the Semnoz during Sunset

I will probably do a drive around towns in annecy and hiking itinerary then.

If there is a must do, please fill me in about it. thanks again.

Annecy, France
reviews: 36
3. Re: 2D2N in Annecy, need Help!

I just remembered that there is a boat you can take and stop off at different places all along the lake. It's actually better than driving round the lake as the road doesn't always follow the lake shore and can be very very congested during rush hour.

As I said in the previous message, you can get to Semnoz by bus.

If you haven't already planned to go, Geneva is worth visiting. There are fairly frequent buses from Annecy (about 1hr 30 mn). I wouldn't recommend driving there as parking is not easy at all and very expensive.

(Chamonix is another possibility. Also accessible by public transport although not very convenient)

All in all, you actually might not need a car !(sorry for giving contradictory advice!)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions!

4. Re: 2D2N in Annecy, need Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 21, 2014