We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this itinerary realistic?

Which Saint-Remy-de-Provence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
reviews: 1
Is this itinerary realistic?

We are going to be basing ourselves in St. Remy for 5 & a half days in early June before going down to Cassis for a few days of beach/calanque time. Here's our proposed plan for our time in St. Remy:

Day One - Arles

Day Two - St. Remy, St. Remy Market (Wednesday)

Day Three - Avignon, Pont du Gard

Day Four - Orange, L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue

Day Five - Lacoste, Bonnieux, Menerbes

Day Six - Aix en Provence on the way to Marseilles to return rental car

Where do you think we could fit Nimes into this schedule? Is there any place we are forgetting? Are we spending too long/too short of a time somewhere?

Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 2
1. Re: Is this itinerary realistic?

You may want to consider visiting the following historical sites & markets:

Tuesday - Vaison-la-Romaine (day 1)

Wdnesday - St. Remy (day 2)

Thursday - Nyons, Orange (day 3)

Friday - Carpentras, Cassis, Lourmarin, Marseilleis (day 4)

Saturday - Apt, Arles, Avignon, Avignon (day 5)

Super sad that you will miss the SUPER market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue on Sunday! For me/us a "can't miss - we're there every Sunday in September

You have not been really specificic regarding your interests - so, in order to give you the best advice, we really need to know more about what you really want to see and do while you are there

Personally, I really hope that you will look upon this as your "first trip to Provence" and that you will understand that you can't "see" it all in the time that you have alloted, and, while NImes is a potential day-trip. it is probably not for this trip , vis-a-vis the other sites you want to visit.

St. Remy is a perfect base for the places that you plan to explore via a series of day-trips.

In all honesty, I do not understand why you are planning to return the car before "going down to Cassis for a couple of days of beach/calanque time."

Edited: 10:39 pm, April 20, 2010
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
reviews: 41
2. Re: Is this itinerary realistic?

The entire day spent in St.Remy seems to me an unaffordable luxury. Even with visiting Glanum and strolling by the "vincent van gogh" path you'll hardly spend more than half a day. In your place I'de split the day in two: half a day for St.Remy, half a day for Les Beaux-de-Provence, which is quite remarkable site.

Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 2
3. Re: Is this itinerary realistic?

You may also want to consider visiting the Camargue following your visit to Arles - it's not far, and is gorgeous and historical.

Georgia
4. Re: Is this itinerary realistic?

Thanks for the thoughts! I agree regarding the market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. Unfortunately that's not do-able. Cassis is extremely important to us, our only visit to the sea and "down time" to swim and relax. This is our honeymoon, so doing four cities in one day is definitely not something we want to do.

We want to go to Orange for the ampitheater, Lacoste for the MDS manse, Avignon for the Palace, Arles for the Van Gogh sights, and we want to fit the Pont du Gard in as well.

So basically we want to do things at whatever pace we'd like, and not try to cram stuff in. I think we'll be good with knowing what our priorities are and knowing that Provence will be there next year.

If anyone has any thoughts on something I've left off please post! We're also very interested in markets, particularly for antiques.

Georgia
5. Re: Is this itinerary realistic?

Also:

The Camargue, I agree, we want to try to go there as well.

Spending a whole day in St. Remy might be too much, I think you may be right. Les Baux actually is on our list, somehow left off of what I posted.

I was also wondering, does it make sense to drop our rental car off in Aix before going to Cassis? We felt like we could take a train or bus to Cassis from there and have heard parking is a hassle in Cassis. After Cassis we are going via bus to Marseille and will take the TGV to Paris for several days. Does that whole car/bus/train plan sound like a good idea?

Greensboro, North...
reviews: 60
6. Re: Is this itinerary realistic?

I would agree that Les Beaux is well worth the visit, there is also a road before you get to Les Beaux that goes to the top of an adjoining peak and has wonderful views (your hotel should be able to help).

The museum at Pont De Gard is very well done, don't short change your time there (nice place for a picnic or kayak in the river with one of the near by outfitters).

Avignon is worth a full day, take the (free) ferry boat across to the island for the best view of the city. The tourist information center offers walking tours (I think at 10 am) that alternate between the city and the Palais, we found the city tour very interesting.

The Camargue is also interesting and a good use of time.

St Remy is a great choice as a base.

Enjoy

7. Re: Is this itinerary realistic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, November 13, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Remy-de-Provence