We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

We are 2 people visiting Marseille next year for maybe 1 night. Will be in the Riviera for 9-10 days and thinking of taking the train to Marseille. It was recommended that I take a tour in Marseille but I usually like to DIY. My perfect day would be to see a little of the city and a little of the countryside. Any thoughts? Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence
reviews: 3
1. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

I would do the boat tour to the calanques, then check the Office du Tourisme website to see what you are interested i, that will help you decide.

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 69
2. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

Personally if you are only staying one night in Marseille and are relying on public transport I would concentrate on the city itself and as LouGari says a trip from Marseille to the Clalaques and Cassis.

There is also a charming train along the coast to the west of Marseille which goes through the coastal villages and ends at Martigues - I think it is called the Blue Train but I am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
reviews: 3
3. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

Hello, yes, it's the Blue Coast Train and it goes from Marseille to Miramas via the north-west calanques. These are smaller than the more famous ones to the south of Marseille, but they are easy to get to on the train. Get off at either Niolon or Ensues (20-30 mins out of Marseille) and take the coastal footpath (the so-called chemin des Douaniers or Customs Officers Path). Or have lunch! There are four restaurants in Niolon and a snack bar. More about the Blue Coast Train: marvellous-provence.com/activities-and-sport…

Montelimar, France
reviews: 1
4. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

I took that train for the first time earlier this month and really enjoyed the ride along the coast from Marseille to La Couronne.http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH_7_Marseille_Miramas_via_Rognac_PdBouc_V2_tcm-27-95527.pdf

This TER train was bound for Avignon centre and Avignon Tgv.

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Carte_Flash.aspx

I also noticed the new Arenc Euroméditérannée stop .

Montelimar, France
5. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH_7_Marse…

Guildford, England
reviews: 11
6. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

If you go to the tourist office you can get a map with a self-guided walk of the Panier district that is very easy to follow. They even have red marks on the pavement to indicate the way.

San Francisco...
7. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

Thank you for all the ideas and leads. Would anyone recommend Aix en Provence? Avignon is a strong consideration too!

San Francisco...
8. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

Thank you for all the ideas and leads. Would anyone recommend Aix en Provence? Avignon is a strong consideration too!

Edited: 9:41 pm, April 28, 2014
San Jose, California
9. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

I think Clalaques and Cassis are both definitely on our list. Can anyone recommend a reliable driver or do you think taxis are a good value?

marseille
reviews: 47
10. Re: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?

I would definitely recommend Aix and prefer it to Avignon.

Reply to: In Marseille for 2 days, 1 Night. DIY or Tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted