We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel for the night before the airport

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fernandina Beach...
reviews: 5
Best Hotel for the night before the airport

My husband and I want to spend the night in Marsailles before morning air travel back to the US. We want a hotel that will be a safe and easy walk to the airport shuttle bus. We will need to catch a 6 a.m. airport shuttle bus to pass security, check-in luggage and be ready to board a 9:30 a.m. flight. Would be great if we could keep the cost to 100 EU. Thanks for your ideas.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
1. Re: Best Hotel for the night before the airport

The Ibis is at the airport.

ibis.com/gb/…index.shtml

Knoxville, Tennessee
2. Re: Best Hotel for the night before the airport

Datthecoast's suggestion of the Ibis is a good one. We've stayed there several times before an early morning flight. It's a budget hotel... basic but clean, and you can stay there for less than your 100 euro target. There's a restaurant on site that features grilled meats.

But you don't need to leave 3-1/2 hours before your flight. Assuming you're flying within the EU, you'll have plenty of time if you arrive at the airport an hour in advance. You could take a shuttle at 7:30 or even 8 am. It's a 5 minute ride to the terminal. You'll have time for breakfast after you've gone through security.

Kathy

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 78
3. Re: Best Hotel for the night before the airport

I see you are flying on to the US.

We fly from Marseille frequently and have found that security at the main terminal can take a long time depending on what flights are going out - it always seems to take longer when flights to certain destinations used by infrequent travellers are going asoften they pack all sorts of things in their carry on baggage that has to be removed. So don't leave it to an hour in advance as you will need plenty of time.

Edited: 10:29 am, February 05, 2014
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
reviews: 3
4. Re: Best Hotel for the night before the airport

Were you hoping to spend the night in the centre of Marseille rather than at an airport hotel? It's entirely possible, as the buses from Marseille station to the airport start very early in the morning and travel time is - officially - 25 mins (allow longer in rush hour, but you should be fine if catching one at 6/6.30am). I'd allow two hours to clear security and passport control - as Boucheboy says, the airport can get busy at peak times. You might consider either the Holiday Inn or the Ibis at Marseille station. Both are moderately priced and just a minute or two from the airport shuttle bus stop.

Marseille, France
5. Re: Best Hotel for the night before the airport

Another who agrees the airport can get busy.

I found the delays for flying out of the international was security. I got through and had to go straight to gate as flight was boarding.

The delay I had when flying within Europe was checking in. It seemed a few flights were checking in at the same time.

But I might just be unlucky.

Knoxville, Tennessee
6. Re: Best Hotel for the night before the airport

I fly out of Marseille on an early-morning flight three or four times a year... maybe I've just been lucky.

Since we're suggesting other alternatives to an airport stay, another possibility would be to stay overnight in Aix-en-Provence, just 30 minutes away. There are also regular shuttles to the airport. See here for departure times: marseille-airport.com/layout/…aix-en-provence

Fernandina Beach...
7. Re: Best Hotel for the night before the airport

If I go with the Aix idea. Which hotels are close to the bus station, safe and reasonable in cost?

8. Re: Best Hotel for the night before the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 am, February 08, 2015