We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Vieux Port at night

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Airport to Vieux Port at night

My husband and I arrive at MRS at 8:00 pm (from San Diego via London), need to clear customs, and then get to our hotel in Vieux Port. From other postings it looks like the most reasonably priced option is the airport shuttle to the Gare Saint-Charles train station and then the metro into Vieux Port. Is that a reasonable choice at night (9 pm? 10 pm?) given that we'll have two large roller bags and at least one carry on? Would it be safer/simpler to just take a taxi? Thanks!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
reviews: 3
1. Re: Airport to Vieux Port at night

The metro in Marseille is notoriously un-friendly for wheelchairs, pushchairs and people with a luggage. At Saint Charles, there's an escalator from the train station to the metro ticket hall, but then steps from there down to the platform.

So, though it's not a difficult journey, it might not be much fun for you arriving off a long flight late at night. If you wanted to keep taxi costs down, you might take the shuttle bus and then pick up a cab at the airport, though I'm not sure how much that would save you.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence
2. Re: Airport to Vieux Port at night

Yes, take a taxi.

San Diego...
3. Re: Airport to Vieux Port at night

Thanks Anglaise & Lou. We'll make that our plan.

London
4. Re: Airport to Vieux Port at night

Sorry, can I just confirm.

Do you both mean

pick up a cab at the station,

rather than "at the airport" as written by Anglaise

And would you advise the same at 6pm to Rue de Sainte, rather than Vieux Port?

San Diego...
5. Re: Airport to Vieux Port at night

I do believe Anglaise mis-typed, given the context. I'm interpreting the advice as follows: although we could take a shuttle to the train station and pick up a taxi there, given our late arrival and jet-lag we should just get a taxi at the airport and opt for a no-hassle trip to our hotel.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
6. Re: Airport to Vieux Port at night

Sorry, yes, I mistyped. You're right... I was suggesting you treat yourselves to a taxi from the airport to get your trip off to a hassle-free start.

Los Angeles...
7. Re: Airport to Vieux Port at night

We just came into Marseille two nights ago at 2030. The next shuttle bus was not leaving until 2140! We asked a couple of strangers if they wanted to share a taxi...they hemhawed, but, a nice young woman came forward and shared a taxi with us. We split the cost of 60 euros with her....well worth it, especially if you are coming in with big luggage!

Edited: 4:17 am, September 09, 2013
8. Re: Airport to Vieux Port at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 11, 2014