We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less traffic on a Saturday?? Any advice from locals?

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ponder, Texas
reviews: 15
Less traffic on a Saturday?? Any advice from locals?

Hello, we will be in Marseille on Saturday, June 8, my husband would really like to rent a car to drive to Les Baux, St Remy and possibly Cassis. But after reading about all the congestion and roads closed, I am afraid that it's a bad idea. (We have been to Marseille before but had a driver, this time with job insecurity, we need to minimize expenses :() I wondered if since it's a Saturday, traffic might be way less of a worry, we will head off the ship at 7:00, hopefully have a car by 8:30and be on our way to Les Baux then back in Marseille to turn the car in at 2:30 - 3:00 for a 4:00 ship departure. Any locals willing to weigh in?? Thanks so much

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
1. Re: Less traffic on a Saturday?? Any advice from locals?

You really should be fine. It is only about 90 kms to Les Baux and a few more to St. Remy. Adding in Cassis means that you would really be racing around.

BTW....Cassis is pretty easy to do from Marseille without a car.

I am going to throw a big wrench into your plans! Why don't you go to Arles instead? It's the same distance as Les Baux, but Arles has an amazing Provencal market on Saturday morning and there is way more to do and see than in Les Baux or St Remy.

Arles is by far the superior destination and you will be blown away by the market.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 78
2. Re: Less traffic on a Saturday?? Any advice from locals?

Who can tell with the traffic.

We tend to use the Autoroute when we travel to/from Marseille (we are about 25Km from St Remy) and from the centre of Marseille it usually takes about 60 minutes in moderate traffic to get to our house.

However it has also taken three hours when they stopped all traffic because of an accident.

The back non toll roads are fine but of course you will need to allow more time - especially on a Saturday as many of the locals do drive at a slow speed ( just what I have found).

You don't have that much time say 6 hours of which you will need to allocate nearly 2 to 3 hours to driving to be on the safe side. With that in mind I would be inclined to look at a trip to Cassis without a car.

3. Re: Less traffic on a Saturday?? Any advice from locals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 17, 2014