We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marseille to valencia by train...how now brown cow?

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 1
marseille to valencia by train...how now brown cow?

I want to buy a France/Spain train pass...but for the life of me can't get info on how to get from Marseille to Valencia other than one can get to Montpellier where I guess there's a direct train the rest of the way. I don't know if I can upgrade my pass with a single supplement to take what I think will now be a TGV train. The snfc.com site can't give info for Spring '13 , ditto tgv-europe. Anyone ever done this. I will be at the Marseille airport and the flight is chere. Plus I'd rather see the countryside. Do we have travel agents in the US that are willing to handle this little mickey mouse purchase?

Paris, France
reviews: 12
1. Re: marseille to valencia by train...how now brown cow?

Rail passes are rarely a good value. Point to point tickets purchased in advance will be a better deal.

To learn more about European train travel try: www.seat61.com

To get to Spain from France you do have to change trains at/near the border. AFAIK this will be a long journey. You may want to get a flight to Barcelona - I found cheaper flights from Nice. And then take the train to Valencia.

Maybe someone else will have some other ideas.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
2. Re: marseille to valencia by train...how now brown cow?

I agree with racegirl...I would fly. You can get good deals on Vueling and easyjet.

Antibes, France
3. Re: marseille to valencia by train...how now brown cow?

According to the DB Bahn site the journey from Marseille St Charles to Valencia will take between 10 and 13 hours and involve 3 or 4 changes depending on the time you leave. And having done the Marseille - Barcelona section I can say this is not one of the Great Rail Journeys of the World. Unlike say the Riviera coast it is tedious and bland. Although may improve south of Barcelona.

I would go for the flight option too ( at least to Barcelona) - on grounds of convenience, time and indeed cost as budget flights are far more competitive.

Ed

Washington DC...
reviews: 1
4. Re: marseille to valencia by train...how now brown cow?

Thanx so much...it sounds daunting and grueling doesn't it? I had considered flying to BCN first and then on by train.

5. Re: marseille to valencia by train...how now brown cow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 03, 2013