We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cevennes Railway

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kaukauna, WI
reviews: 5
Cevennes Railway

Hi --

We are coming from Paris and would like to take the scenic railway from Clemont-Ferrand to Marrseille. However I cannot find much information about it, or find a link for booking tickets. Is it an optional route and if so, would it be running in October?

Thank you.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 154
1. Re: Cevennes Railway

There are three trains a day which run on the line through the Allier Gorges and the Cevennes from Clermont Ferrand to Nimes taking just over 5 hours. However it appears that the direct train to Marseilles using this route no longer runs, you would have to change at Nimes. You can get the times and make bookings on www.voyages-sncf.com or in English on www.tgv-europe.com but have a look at the other guidance on booking on the latter site to avoid being bumped to the Rail Europe site.

It is a wonderful route to travel.

Kaukauna, WI
2. Re: Cevennes Railway

Thank you! That's very helpful.

Kaukauna, WI
3. Re: Cevennes Railway

Hi there --

I'm trying to book this train but see only one train option (which is fine) for the day we will be traveling, October 18. I put in "via Gorges" and only one option came up. Going via La Bastide Sait Laurent L Bains. Is this the correct route? I also asked for 1st class but it would appear there are no first class seats left. Need to be sure I've got the correct route before I book it.

Or is there something I should be typing in differently besides Clermont-Ferrand to Nimes. I want to then go on to Marseille but I think I have to book that as a separate ticket, don't I? Thanks!

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 154
4. Re: Cevennes Railway

Bastide St Laurent-les-Bains is certainly o on the line between Clermont Ferrand and Nimes., I do not know where Gorges comes in.. I imagine that the reason you cannot book First Class is that there are not any such seats on the train, and there would not be any need to book in adance. You may be able to book a through ticket from Clermont Ferrand to Marseille via Nimes - in which case you may be able to get a Prem fare and/or be able to travel in 1st Classs if you wish for the second leg. It really all depends on the type of train.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: Cevennes Railway

To see the full timetable between Clermont-Ferrand and Nimes, download …ter-sncf.com/Images/Languedoc_Roussillon/Tr… Local trains like these are sometimes slow to be loaded on the websites, and October is still a long time away.

These trains have no reserved seats so there is no need whatsoever for advance purchase. They are likely to be second class only.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
reviews: 3
6. Re: Cevennes Railway

Hello

I hear this train go by every day as it passes through my village on the Blue Coast. It is not correct that you have to charge in Nimes to travel from Clermond Ferrand to Marseille. One train per day does not require you to change trains.

The southbound train leaves Clermont Ferrand at 12:40 and arrives Marseille St.Charles at 19:54. The designated number of this southbound train is 15957. You can buy a ticket online (www.voyages-sncf.com) and the price is €80.90 one way for first class and €53.90 second class. You can also buy a ticket at Clermont Ferrand station. In either case, make sure you specify the direct train, as you will otherwise be routed via Lyon and a TGV which is a much quicker although less interesting route.

Two recent changes to this train ("Le Cevenol") have made it an even better experience than before. Firstly, on its last leg from Miramas to Marseille, the train now normally runs along the beautiful Blue Coast route instead of the much less exciting inland route. More about the Blue Coast train: http://bit.ly/cm9BP0

Secondly, the rolling stock has now been updated and the train now usually runs with a modern diesel railcar which gives panoramic views from the raised sections at each end.

Kaukauna, WI
7. Re: Cevennes Railway

My trip is now less than a month out and I have all of my train reservations made except this particular one -- "Le Cevenol" from Clermont Ferrand to Marseille. I simply cannot find it to book on the website. I need to use http://www.tgv-europe.com because my credit card does not go through on the french www.voyages-sncf.com website.

I'd ideally like to book it so it's confirmed and I have tickets for October 18. Anglaisea Marseille, can I buy two tickets right at the Clermont-Ferrand station that day and can I be sure there will be open seats? Also, I would ideally like to take an earlier train out of Clermont-Ferrand at 7:28 a.m. arriving in Nimes at 12:39 p.m. I know then I would need to change trains in Nimes but it would get me into Marseille earlier. But I do not see any Blue Coast Line trains, which I really would like to take. How do I find that to possibly get me into Marseille earlier?

Sorry for all these questions. I'm just finding it confusing to book this particular train online.

Thank you for any help provided!!!

Marseille
reviews: 17
8. Re: Cevennes Railway

Dear SeeAndDo,

This is not an answer to your question, but is is another request.

This sounds like an interesting and unusual journey - if you do succeed in booking it and make the journey, please come back and tell us all about it!

UK
9. Re: Cevennes Railway

The journey is shown on one site as being operated by coach in October. There is nothing on the Intercités website to suggest this is a substitute service due to track works (the usual explanation) and I came across this which gives the impression that the line is being abandoned:

http://traincevenol.free.fr/

OTOH, perilizia's timetable shows it should be running normally.

Try asking on the train travel forum, in case some of the railway insiders know something:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_…

Edited: 5:56 am, September 19, 2012
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
10. Re: Cevennes Railway

The timetable I posted shows that many trains run only on specific days and between certain dates, and some are sometimes buses. You have to read the small print.

In particular, the timetable shows that the through Intercity train referred to in reply 6 ran only until September 2.

That train was the inheritor of the Cevenol service which used to run from Paris, and the link which Post 9 refers to as giving "the impression that the line is being abandoned" is referring to the possibility that this train may not be brought back again to run next summer.: