We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

southern France

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tasmania
reviews: 2
southern France

Can anyone recommend a place to visit and stay a few days in southern France?

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
1. Re: southern France

Since "southern France" entails 50% of the country, it might be helpful if you'd narrow it to a region....do you indeed mean Marseille? How many people? What time of year? What are your interests? What is your budget? What does "a few days" mean?

A guidebook might be a good place to start.

Tasmania
2. Re: southern France

I was looking to stick to the coast line. Also I will be travelling solo, on a budget and during August. Any tips?

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
3. Re: southern France

Are you flying into marseille or eslewhere? arriving by train? etc

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 83
4. Re: southern France

What do you plan to do? Swim, sunbathe, visit ruins, do galleries, eat out a lot, visit vineyards, scent factories, gardens? August is the busiest time of year, so if you are on a budget you may find it hard to book anywhere this late.

Tasmania
5. Re: southern France

Well I would like to swim and check out some amazing coastal towns. It now seems I have 8 days between when I leave Barca and fly from Madrid. Any advise?

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
6. Re: southern France

Yes. Figure out what it is that you want to do....then we can help you.

If all you want to do is hang out on the coast, why do you need to go to France to do that? You could pretty easily spend 8 days with a rental car, toddling from Barcelona down the coast to Valencia or Cartajena before heading inland to Madrid.

Much as I love France....the idea of drifting through Spanish coastal villages sounds awfully inviting.

New York, NY
reviews: 5
7. Re: southern France

you should go to Cap Ferrat, definitely.

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 83
8. Re: southern France

I would suggest with 8 days you split your time between the Nice area and the western side of Provence. As a completely different experience, you might want to try staying in the perched village of Haut de Cagnes, which is a mile or so inland from the beach resort of Cros de Cagnes but within easy reach of the (pebble) beach. The perched village is typical of the area, but is atypical in that it is still residential ie not taken over by tourist shops and swamped with visitors. Another suggestion would be Antibes, a lovely old town with good beaches and plenty to see. From either you would be able to visit the Nice area and I would certainly include Cap Ferrat in your list of 'must-dos'.

On the western side, my favourite by a long way is Hyeres and the Giens peninsula, a five-mile spit of land with sandy beaches either side. The old town is lovely and if you are energetic you can climb to the top of the hill above it and visit the ruined castle. From the end of the peninsula you can take a boat to Porquerolles.

Another possibility would be Cassis, a small fishing town that has become a very popular holiday destination. It has two good beaches and you can take boat trips to visit the calanques - fjords just west of the town, or walk along the cliff tops.

Edited: 3:33 am, June 30, 2012
New York, NY
reviews: 5
9. Re: southern France

while ChicChantal makes great recommendations, i honestly would skip France altogether... i just don't see why a detour, hours away by train from Barcelona and likely to costs loads of money, before returning all the way to Madrid is all that necessary... why not just focus on Spain, and its coastal villages as Sunshine suggests?

my Cap Ferrat recommendation was sarcastic because it is certainly not the place for a budget traveler, and even if it were, trying to find what few budget accommodations may be left a few weeks before the August high season seems daunting... in Cap Ferrat or anywhere else on the Cote d'Azur...

i would just stay put and enjoy Spain...

Barnstaple, United...
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
reviews: 169
10. Re: southern France

It is worth considering Nice as well as it is a fantastic city and a great base for a visit.