We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

jokemaker323
reviews: 6
One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

We will be in Bonnieux for one week in early July and I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for things to do in the region.

The stuff that first comes to mind are your favorite suggestions for daily markets, where to go to experience the lavender season, hiking, and going wine tasting. We would so much appreciate hearing from those that have been there how they would best prioritize their precious time with just one week in the region. What are your favorites in those areas? What is a must see/do and what would you skip?

I'd also love to hear other stuff you suggest. Favorite villages to see even if it doesn't have a market, other destinations, other activities, etc.

Finally, do you have any recommendations for great places to eat lunch and/or dinner in Bonnieux or not too far away that can handle having a small child at it? I know the region is packed with some really good but really fancy places but we are also hoping to find a few places that are a bit more relaxed but still have great local food in a more casual atmosphere.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give! We can't wait to get there.......

New York City, New...
reviews: 182
1. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

Bonnieux is one of my favorite places.

The 2 best restaurants are l'arome and le fournil. They are not too fancy even with toddler. You will definitely need reservations.

None of the more casual touristy looking places are bad. Maybe because Bonnieux is more if a real town rather than tourist town. On the top road there is a casual outdoor restaurant with great views called brasserie le terrasses. Good food, average service, phenomenal views.

You will want to explore other towns during the day. At night I preferred being back in Bonnieux to avoid mountain driving.

You can visit Lacoste which is right across Bonnieux, Gordes which is larger and more touristy but great, Roussillion which is unique (it is red ) but has a Disney feel, Lournarin, and many miscellaneous "undiscovered" little towns that are scattered all over.

Where are you staying?

jokemaker323
2. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

Doby, thanks a lot for your recommendations, I really appreciate them. We are staying in a house in the village. Any tips on wine/markets/hiking?

We will have a car so no worries there but I assume most do in the region.

New York City, New...
3. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

All the main towns have market days but I don't remember the schedule. I'm sure someone will post

We went to Gordes on market day and it was huge. Lots of cheeses, meats breads. I think it is the best market in the area(?).

We also stayed in Cassis as a base and there are wineries along the coast. And also stayed in Aix. Are you only doing Bonnieux ?

We did not hike. It was August and hot:). But I know a lot if people do.

jokemaker323
4. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

Thanks again! Do reservations fill up weeks/months in advance or if you call a week before should it be okay?

Are reservations for lunch when visiting other villages needed?

jokemaker323
5. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

Also, are there good daily markets on Sunday and Monday in the region? I notice many restaurants are closed those two days so it would be ideal to go to a great market on those days to pick up produce for dinner at home. What do you think?

New York City, New...
6. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

We never made reservations for lunch. For dinner we made reservations that week but it was tough to get our choice of day and time.

Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 2
7. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

On Sundays, the Market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is simply the best! Our favorite Monday Market is Cavaillon, with the Market in Bollene coming in a close second.

We always enjoy our main meal mid-day, and since we rent, enjoy a light evening repast back at the house

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
8. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

Sent you a PM.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 51
9. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

The best lunch we ate in the Luberons was a picnic of provisions bought at the Isle sur la Sorgue market, consumed on the square in Gordes. Not that the restaurants are bad but the market offerings are fabulous. I'd think that a young child might enjoy that. (We were a bit hampered by a lack of the usual utensils etc for the picnic. E.g., we had the presence of mind to borrow a corkscrew from our B&B for our wine, but did not have any cups or glasses, so ended up passing the bottle back and forth.)

Bermuda
10. Re: One Week in Bonnieux in July: Help!

The Coustellet market on a Sunday morning is a must!