We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

Which Villefranche-sur-Mer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
reviews: 15
nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

Heading out this way tomorrow.

Basically which has the nicer beaches for kids (ahem including this big kid) to play around on and relax/picnic etc?

We will probably visit both places VIA train but some help in an itinerary in this regard would be greatly received!

Thanks

Destination Expert
for Cannes
reviews: 13
1. Re: nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

I think on balance that the beach in Beaulieu is probably better than the beach in Villefranche, although Villefranche has a more scenic backdrop (however in neither are the beaches anywhere near as good as Cannes IMO :))

If you want to buy a picnic and or cold drinks, there are a couple of reasonably sized supermarkets and a bakery in Beaulieu not far from train station ( turn right onto the street outside the train station and head up towards the main street that runs through Beaulieu, in opposite direction to the seafront- it's a one horse town so hard to get lost ) also several cafes, restaurants by the beach

Villefranche has far less to offer in the way of shops , but plenty of cafes and restaurants down near the very picturesque harbour.

I would explore Villefranche then flop out/ play around on the beach in Beaulieu

London, UK
reviews: 57
2. Re: nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

I would vote for Villefranche beach, which is more than twice the length, has some rocky areas where children like to play and very safe swimming. The nicest part of Beaulieu beach is occupied by the private beach of the Royal Riviera Hotel. It is easy to have a look at both as is it about a 15 minute stroll between the two.

Destination Expert
for Cannes
reviews: 13
3. Re: nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

Link to the beaches in Beaulieu

beaulieusurmer.fr/modules/news/article.php…

New York, New York
reviews: 16
4. Re: nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

I enjoyed Villefranche's beach much more when compared to Beaulieu's (which I found to be the least attactive and least clean among the beaches along the rest of the Riviera.)

Go to the section of the beach closer to the port near the snack stands rather than the portion closer to the parking lot. The rocks become finer at that end. The water is beautiful and you can wear a scuba mask to see some cute fish! I also remember a large rock formation from which some kids were climbing and jumping (although I did not so I am not sure how safe it was.)

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
5. Re: nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

I would say that Villefranche beach is the best for kids .

Beaulieu , as well as Cannes and Ponteil[Antibes] beaches can get get the suspended sand grains /colloidal effect which can look murky as the day goes on. or in certain weather conditions - sometimes kids don't like going in water they can't see through. This doesn't tend to happen as often at Villefranche as the sand has larger particle size

england
reviews: 15
6. Re: nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

As it happens I cannot help decide! In the end we went to Beaulieu, loved the place and stayed there for a few hours, then decided to head to Monaco so never went to VF.

The private area of the beach was pretty horrible though with alot of trash in the water and slimy rocks near the shoreline hard for the kids to clamber over into the sea.

The beach area on the public part was MUCH MUCH nicer.

Saw a couple of jellyfish in the sea/shore in Beaulieu as well.

But I agree with Sooz that our favourite beach was at Cannes :-)

Edited: 10:52 am, June 09, 2012
London, United...
reviews: 2
7. Re: nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

Try http://www.paloma-beach.com/

You have to pay a bit for entry, but the public beaches get VERY busy during summer week-ends.

OR rent a small boat from the harbour and get good instructions for a number of less busy beaches around the area.

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
8. Re: nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

Acces on paloma beach can be an issue -since you are obliged to descend very steep stairs. or by walking round the round peninsula by the sentier littoral or arrive by boat

9. Re: nicer sandy beaches for children - VF or Beaulieu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer