We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cycling in Villefranche

Which Villefranche-sur-Mer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
reviews: 1
cycling in Villefranche

We are due to dock in Villefranche in a few weeks time and are interested in cycling from the port to Nice. Is bike hire available, what is the terrain like and what's the distance between Nice and Villefranche? Any other suggested cycle routes with good scenery?

Paris, France
reviews: 4
1. Re: cycling in Villefranche

Did a quick google search and found a place you can rent bikes at the port, though there may be others:

locauto.fr/agences/…nice-port.htm

I imagine once you arrive you'll probably see other places around the port to rent bikes and they'll tell you all about dedicated bike lanes in the area. You can easily ride along the promenade in Nice and into the old downtown.

I'm not sure if there is a dedicated bike lane along the coast between Nice and Villefranche (which is about 4+- km) but bike rental stores will have that info. As far as other scenic bike routes unless you are a serious biker who can climb hills then you'll only be biking along the coast. The hills/mountains come right down to the coast in this region so as you move away from the coast it's all uphill.

London, UK
reviews: 54
2. Re: cycling in Villefranche

Villefranche is a tiny place and I am pretty sure there is no bike hire. There are big efforts being made to improve the coast for cycling but, so far, this does not apply to Villefranche. There is a bike lane for part of the route between Nice and Villefranche, in theory east bound only but in practice cyclists do whatever they like. It is about two miles to Nice outskirts. Drivers are much more considerate than are those in the UK so cycling on the road is not a problem.

If you can get your hands on a bike I suggest you go to nearby Cap Ferrat where there is almost no traffic and wonderful views. As FM says you can rent bikes in Nice and cycle along the promenade but it is not much fun to cycle anywhere else in the city.

Head inland away from Villefranche and there is wonderful cycling with magnificent scenery but it requires you to climb very substantial hills. Think of cycling in the Lake District and double the climbs.

Paris, France
3. Re: cycling in Villefranche

Ah, I misread your post and thought you were docking at Nice. I did a google search and found something about a bike hire place in Villefranche. Here is the link I found:

locauto.fr/agences/…villefranche-sur-mer.htm

It appears to be the same agency as the other link I gave you. They have a phone number so you can try calling them to check. You might also contact the tourist office in Villefranche to see what they have to say. Here is their website:

http://www.villefranche-sur-mer.com/tourisme/

I think LondonBob's advice about cycling around Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat is good advice. It is probably the most scenic ride due to lack of development and traffic and the terrain is not steep and manageable.

London, UK
4. Re: cycling in Villefranche

I have seen the ad by the port in Villefarnche. I suspect that the idea is that you phone and they bring the bikes from Nice. I will be in Villefranche week after next and will try to remember to check.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 16
5. Re: cycling in Villefranche

We were in Villefranche last December with friends, one of who took a trial ride with a local guy who had bikes by the road for rent. So something will be possible. There were even bicycles built for two.

Chester, United...
6. Re: cycling in Villefranche

Thanks for your help - much appreciated

Chester, United...
7. Re: cycling in Villefranche

Have just returned from our cruise (which was fabulous) We docked in Villefranche and immediately inside the tender station found a guy hiring bikes on either a half day or daily basis. We paid 15 euros each for the full day and hired battery assisted cycles which we absolutely invaluable on the hills around that area. We cycled to Monaco via Cap Ferat. It took us around 40 mins to Monaco and the scenery along the way was breathtaking. There are no cycle lanes - the drivers are very courteous and we didn't feel threatened at all, even though it got quite busy the closer we got to Monaco. The rental guy is apparently there from May to October each year and says he can bring bikes to Villefranche if outside these months.

Paris, France
8. Re: cycling in Villefranche

That will be useful info to someone else, judi. Thanks for putting that out there and glad you enjoyed your ride.

London, UK
9. Re: cycling in Villefranche

I had a look a week or so ago on a day when there was no cruise liner in the port and saw only a sign that said it was necessary to phone 24 hours in advance. I am guessing that bikes are there on days when a ship is in.

Denver, Colorado
10. Re: cycling in Villefranche

My family of 5 did a 5 day, 4 night self guided bike trip in Villefranche arranged through their local government office. Our kids then were 8, 8, and 11. The bike rentals were ok ("Giant" brand) and the number of km per nights travel was very easy; the accomodations were fine and they included breakfast and dinner. The cost per person then inclusive of bikes, hotels and breakfast/dinner, and hauling your suitcase from one site to another was ~$525/person. Quite reasonable. This was 10 years ago, and do not know if it is still in existence-you may wish to contact their tourism office directly.

Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer