We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters

Which Grimaud hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burton, United...
Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters

Hi

Planning a trip this July and wondered if its worth taking bikes/scooters?

We are driving so just wondering of its worth the hastle taking all the bikes (3). Our kids are 6, 8 & 10.

Thanks fr the advice !

7 replies to this topic
provence
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 69
1. Re: Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters

Why not if you have the room? Saves hiring them.

Seems to me watching all the cars driving south on the autoroute that everyone takes their bicycles with them.

If you are still at the planning stage for this July you may have left it a bit late. July is the start of the French holiday season and everyone heads south and most accommodations get booked up well in advance.

The road conditions at the weekends on the direst routes south from late July until the end of September are hell so try to travel on weekdays if possible.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo
reviews: 161
2. Re: Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters

It is definitely worth taking your children's bikes if you can. Most bicycle hire shops have very limited supplies (if any) of smaller sizes.

Surrey UK
reviews: 4
3. Re: Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters

It depends a bit where you are staying. Most campsites are down on the coast by Port Grimaud where the terrain is flat, so good for cycling/scooting. It's common sense to keep off the main road but there is a parallel cycle track-cum-footpath most of the way. Grimaud village, on the other hand, is perched on a hill and not cycling territory for young children.

Burton, United...
4. Re: Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters

Many thanks for the replies!

We are already booked with everything planned. As we have not been to this site before i was concerned that gravel drive ways would make it hard to ride the scooters so i wouldnt bother taking them.

Anyone know if Prairies de la Mer has gravel or tarmac drives?

Thanks again

Scotland
5. Re: Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters

Prairies is all smooth roads/paths - I can't remember any gravel apart from maybe around some of the mobiles. There are plenty of bikes and scooters about. There is a bike hire place on site and one at the roundabout at the top of the road but it can work out quite expensive. I know there is a cycle path that runs alongside the main road to Ste Maxime and I think there is also one the other way towards St Tropez but we haven't cycled in that direction as it is lovely to take the boat.

Burton, United...
6. Re: Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters

Boat!! I deffo don't think I can fit that in!!! Can you hire them?

Unless I leave the kids!!!

Thanks all for the responses.....I'm gonna take both......I'll let you know!

Scotland
7. Re: Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters

Just read that back and it does sound like we have a boat! If only!! There are water taxis running between Port Grimaud and St Tropez. Boats to hire too but I'd be far too scared with all the fancy boats about! We love it there - hope you do too! Make sure you take the little road train up to Grimaud village too - the kids will probably enjoy the trip and Grimaud is really pretty. Enjoy your holiday!

Reply to: Is it worth taking kids bikes or scooters
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted