We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice? Congested/Busy?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nice? Congested/Busy?

We are arriving by train from Paris and thought we'd spend

2-3 days in the French Riviera.(End of April) Will have no access to car.

I've read on various posts that Nice can be crowded

and that major roadwork is being done throughout

the city. Can you suggest area(s) of Nice and/or train accessible areas to stay where it would be quiet yet

convenient to restaurants/attractions. thanks.

Hanover, Germany
1. Re: Nice? Congested/Busy?

For the tramway roadworks have a look at

www.lignedazur.com/plan/index.asp?rub_code=5

But I don't know whether there're other roadworks.

London, UK
reviews: 57
2. Re: Nice? Congested/Busy?

Nice is a large city sqeezed between the sea and the Alps. It is always busy and lively. That is one of the attractions but, like many cities, it has a permanent traffic problem. This is made worse for drivers by the construction of the tramway but the actual work is mainly along the Avenue Jean Medicine, the principal shopping street but not one of the more attractive parts of the city.

The main tourist areas, the old town and the Promenade Des Anglais, are not affected by the construction.

If you would like a peaceful place to stay, I would recommend the Hotel Welcome in Villefranche, a seven minute train ride from Nice central station and only four minutes from Nice Riquier, which is more convenient for the port area of the city. This would allow you stay in a delightful small resort with many excellent restaurants, with good access to the delights of Nice.

I spend about ten weeks a year in Villefranche/Nice and I believe that the only solution to the noise, pollution and danger posed by cars would be to copy Zermatt, Switzerland. Here, all cars must be left in an enormous car park near the town and everyone must then travel by train, bicycle or on foot. Nice already has an excellent system of gas powered buses and no one really needs to travel by car.

Novato, CA
3. Re: Nice? Congested/Busy?

An alternative to staying in Nice would be to stay in Cannes. It is not as large as Nice and also very centrally located. I will be staying at the Marriott Riviera Da Porte Monaco from 4/23 to 4/30 w/Marriott Reward Points. I plan to get from town to town on the trains.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
reviews: 23
4. Re: Nice? Congested/Busy?

I stayed in the Hotel Trocadero ( …azur.fr/page_en_1.html ). It is a recently-renovated cheap hotel (approx. 50 euros for a double in February) with an elevator and very friendly and helpful staff. It is a 3 minute walk to the train station and tourist office, so it is in an incredibly convenient location. That being said, due to its location, I can imagine it might get a bit loud if you are there when you have to sleep with the windows open at night. From this location, we simply walked everywhere we wanted to go - down to the beach, to vieux nice, grocery shopping on ave. jean medecin, etc, although there is a bus service, Sunbus, that runs quite frequently. There are also a lot of cheap, quaint little places to eat around there. I have one recommendation in particular - if you are a fan of fabulous rotisserie chicken, visit Rotisserie la Broche on Rue de la Belgique. Our favorite place to eat in Nice! :)

Jersey, United...
reviews: 52
5. Re: Nice? Congested/Busy?

Cannes in the summer is awesome, walking along the promenade at night with everyone setting up their stalls to sell you things etc and in the day the beach is fantastic, but Nice is our favourite, nothing better than laying on the beach in the day (although pebbly) then walking around at night after a (hopefully) quick bite to eat and perhaps roller blade along the promenade!!!

Lemon

Ledyard, Connecticut
reviews: 1
6. Re: Nice? Congested/Busy?

I am trying to organize a day trip in Cannes-Nice-Monaco and back to Cannes to meet our ship. Does anyone know the specific stations to get off---I noticed Nice has several stations (Nice Augustine, Nice Riquier, etc)...Thanks!

How would you handle the train situation?