We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coastal Carolinas
reviews: 58
Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

We just found out that our transfers with our cruise line is a mess. We planned to arrive a day earlier in Lyon, spend the night and were planning to meet the transfer company person at the Lyon airport the next day when our cruise actually begins. We were concerned about weather (end of April), connections, or possible mechanical problems that might make us late flying from USA-London-Lyon. Now, we find out that we cannot use our paid transfers because we are already in Lyon and out of the baggage area of the airport!? Also, turns out that we have similar issue when we end the cruise in Avignon Port.The company will take us to Marseille airport when they take the others. Then, we would have to find our own way to Nice. So, 1-suggestions for the transfer from Lyon? 2- Are there any trains, bus companies, car rentals in Avignon Port..town, transportation companies that can get us to Nice? Any comments/assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

20 replies to this topic
Coastal Carolinas
11. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

Ok..train it is. However, I am a bit confused. Is sounds as thoughIf I take the TVG I need to go to Marseille. I was hoping that there was a train from Avignon? But if not, then I should use the cruise company's motor coach transfer to Marseille ( which is the ONLY pace it will go; and, Only to the airport) Then, taxi to the TVG station for the quick train to Nice? Is this correct ? Also, I will go and get the green Michelin book. The one that I have doesn't seem to be as detailed/old as what is being suggested. Thank you all for your kind assistance.This will be my husband's first trip to France and I am really hoping to make it as easy and pleasant as possible…so he'll go again!

UK
12. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

The fast rail line from Paris goes through Avignon TGV station, and many trains go on to end their journey at Marseille where passengers change trains for Nice. One advantage of using the cruise company airport service then boarding the Nice train from Marseille is that the train is likely to come into the platform some time in advance of departure. This means there's generally a bit of time to get on board and organise luggage (no luggage service, no porters).

However, according to the timetables I looked at, there is also a train from Avignon TGV at 11:30 which avoids Marseille and goes straight through to Nice, arriving 14:26.

Avignon TGV is only just outside the town, and would be a reasonable taxi ride (under 10 minutes?).

TGV tickets need to be booked in advance, and they are least expensive if you book a specific train well in advance with SNCF, the French railway company - ask for more help if you need it.

TGV train stations in France have indicators showing where your carriage will stop, so that you can wait there with your bags - be aware that the 11.30 departure only arrives at 11.27, so it's a good idea not to have too many bags to load! The train may be pulling out as you find your seats. I mention that so that you are prepared, not because it's going to be a problem.

http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

Edited: 10:24 am, January 25, 2014
Coastal Carolinas
13. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

Hi, Diz: Thank you for the insights. We have only traveled by train once from Rome to Florence and it was a breeze. The husband was very happy as that was his maiden voyage to Europe! I checked with the cruise people and they said we dock the evening before debarkation around 10 AM the next morning. It seems possible to take a taxi to the TVG and take the train from there. I also followed the previous advice and checked the train schedule and saw the possible time, but didn't know it was in Avignon. I will contact SNFC which I saw, but didn't know enough info to purchase the tickets. Now, just working on the transport from Lyon Airport to Chalon sue Saone Port! It really would have been a mess if we hadn't made inquiries this early and found out about the possible complications.in advance. Thank you , again for the additional information, most helpful. Sadly, in the US we have virtually zero transport by trains…which we love…Europe has such wonderful inter-country rail lines and is enviable to most US travelers!

UK
14. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

<< it was a breeze>> This will be fine too, but it's SO annoying when the careful planning has to be re-planned.

For this journey, Avignon TGV to Nice. SydneyNick is the train person, but I think the current recommendation is to book through a site called https://www.capitainetrain.com/en as they show all the trains at the right prices and are also prepared to accept foreign credit cards, which can be an issue with the SNCF's own site. Bookings open 90 days ahead for the best prices and you should be able to print off an e-ticket for a direct TGV journey.

Then there's Lyon to Macon. Assuming you're having an overnight in Lyon itself, it's easy. There is a local train, takes about 45 minutes, more or less hourly from Lyon Part-Dieu to Macon Ville (which is the town centre station, that I assume is the right one for a taxi to the cruise port). Tickets can be bought at the station, cost 13.30€ each at present. No reserved seating as it's a local train, but it's unlikely to be busy. The timetable is on page 2 here, but you need to check the times depending on which day of the week and whether or not it's a public holiday:

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Bourgogne/Tridion/01_Di…

The line is not too far from the Beaujolais vineyards, so it should be a pleasant view ;-)

Incidentally, if you like train travel, this is a good website to browse: http://www.seat61.com/

Coastal Carolinas
15. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

Good Morning, Everyone: Just wanted to thank each of you for your assistance in our dilemma . At this point , we have been working with the airlines to see if a change is possible for the arrival part of the trip. In retrospect changing that seems to be the easiest (if it can actually be done). If not, with all the suggestions, we think that

we have really wonderful alternatives to get from Lyon to Chalon -sur -Saone. Thank you all for your time and insights, we could not have attempted to resolve these issues without your collective assistance.

Coastal Carolinas
16. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

Suggestions for transportation from Lyon to Charlon sur Saone? We have researched buses and there does not seems to be an option there…at least we have not found one. We know from the maps the Charlon sur Saone is north of Lyon and seems to be near the main roads. So, perhaps renting a car for a day might be an alternative ( although we have heard is is rather expensive to do so) Not sure about trains…still looking into that option. All the suggestions for the Avignon to Nice via TVG were great. We purchased our tickets and made transportation plans from the ship to the train station. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

New York
17. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

Please give a reliable limo or taxi company to drive from Avignon to Nice airport

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
18. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

Look at a map. What you are asking for will cost hundreds and hundreds of euros. Perhaps over 1,000.

Take a TGV.

Vence, France
reviews: 104
19. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

…angloinfo.com/af/312/provence-taxi-shuttle-…

Coastal Carolinas
20. Re: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice

Thank you. We actually did view a map and realized that 8o miles was a bit far for a taxi. However, we took all the suggestions and were able to have the cruise company call us a cab to the TVG from our last stop and took the train to Nice. It was wonderful. Thank you to all for the time. insight and suggestions that you shared with us. In the end, we had a fabulous trip and are planning our next one already for 2015!

Reply to: Need transportation from Avignon Port, France to Nice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted