We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Nice? What to do?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunedin, Otago, New...
reviews: 4
How many days in Nice? What to do?

Hi there,

I will be in Nice in September, for anywhere from 2-5 days (I'm still very flexible). I was wondering how long is enough? There are a few other places I would like to go (eg. Lyon, Annecy), and I only have 7 days all up.

Also, any suggestions for things to do, nice day trips, or (very cheap) places to stay would be most welcome!

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Finland
reviews: 121
1. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

In case of 7 full days as a time frame for Nice, Lyon and Annecy I would allocate them 3-2-1 and the 7th is pretty much consumed on transportation and arrangements. The TGV connection Nice-Lyon is swift 4h30 min and Lyon-Annecy by train 2h is easy also.

From Nice, you can plan a day for trips in nearby places either west, east or inland. It is easy to move about by train and/or buses.

www.nicetourisme.com and the numerous Nice forum threads here at TA are good sources for what to do in Nice.

Cheap(ish) hotels with reasonable quality can be found reviewed here at TA, hotels.com and booking.com etc. I am sure you will find a suitable one.

In case you want to travel by bus, have a look at www.lignesdazur.com bus route map when selecting the hotel. Nice-Ville main railway station is on Avenue Thiers, you can locate it easily in google maps. Lots of hotels can be found between the Promenade and the station. Several buses pass on one way streets Rue de la Buffa and Rue du Marechal Joffre. Tramway goes along Avenue Malaussena / Avenue Jean Medecin, turning NE at the very central location Place Massena, which is near the old town, the Promenade and the small pedestrian zone.

Antibes, France
2. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

Outside Nice the usual tourist trail includes Cannes, Antibes, Juan les Pins, Villefranche and Monaco - all reached by the local train which runs right along the coast every half hour or so. Two inland perched villages - St Paul de Vence and Eze - are also top of the 'to do' list and can be reached in a short time by bus from Nice.

Ed

3. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:01 am, August 26, 2013

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
4. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

Fgfhgh F =There are bridges you could visit

Edited: 7:34 pm, August 25, 2013
Dunedin, Otago, New...
5. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

Thank you all for your help!

I have now allocated 2 days of my time to Annecy, as there were a few things there I wanted to do, and just have 4 days (excluding travel time) left to cover both Nice and Lyon.

I can't decide whether to just stay in Nice 5 nights (4 days), then travel straight to Annecy, thus skipping Lyon entirely but leaving enough time for day trips etc. from Nice, or to spend 3 nights (2 days) in Nice, and then 2 nights (2 days) in Lyon... Any help with this would be great!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
6. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

You need one day minimum to explore NIce.

One day to the east, Villefranche, Beaulieu sur Mer, Eze etc.

One day to the west. Antibes, Juan les Pins, St Paul de Vence.

That's 3 days and you haven't scratched the surface.

A trip on the Train de Merveilles up to Tende is amazing and will give you a completely different perspective on the area.

Same thing for a trip out to Isle de Lerins.

Finland
reviews: 121
7. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

Well, Lyon is a big town and in just two days you would see just a little bit of it, and at the same time miss several things worth to see in Nice area. Not a bad idea to extend your stay at Nice and skip Lyon this time. Lyon is within easy reach from Paris by TGV in case you plan to come back for say 7-10 days again to visit Paris and some other place. Many people combine Paris with Loire Valley or Champagne, just as examples.

Dunedin, Otago, New...
8. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

Thanks FinlandTimo, that is what I was thinking, though it will probably be a long time before I come back, NZ is a very long (and expensive) way away!

However, I am not all that interested in the expensive, flashy side of Nice - are there any very nearby places that are just as charming but a bit more low-key that might have youth hostels? I think I would like to split my time such that I get a taste of both, but am on a very low accommodation budget....

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
9. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

Bianca, what is your budget per night in euros?

Dunedin, Otago, New...
10. Re: How many days in Nice? What to do?

I am looking at around 20 euros per night, if possible. There are a few hostels in Nice at this rate, but I cannot find anything in nearby towns

Reply to: How many days in Nice? What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted