We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 34
Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

Hi All,

My husband and I are planning a holiday to the Cote d'Azur at the start of June and currently trying to determine the best places to stay for the 7 nights we will be in the area.

We will be arriving to / departing from Cannes by Eurostar and our plan at the moment is to spend 2 nights in Cannes (Monday & Tuesday), 2 nights in Nice (Wednesday & Thursday) and our last (Sunday) night in Antibes (as we will have already stayed in Cannes and it is close enough to Cannes for an early afternoon train departure).

At the moment the gap is where to stay on the Friday & Saturday night. We have our heart staying in the Le Negresco for 2 nights and th cheapest rates we can get are on a Wednesday & Thursday night so that part of our itinerary is pretty fixed, as is the 2 days in Cannes. We would like to visit Monte Carlo and Menton from our final base, but have no intention of staying in Monte Carlo due to cost (Negresco is our extravagance).

Does anyone have any recommendations for our base for these 2 nights?

We have been considering Villefranche sur-Mer (but it seems too close to Nice), Eze and Roquebrune-Cap-Martin. We will be mainly using the train as our mode of transport. At the moment Hotel Le Roquebrune in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin seems like a good choice for what we want to do on the 2-3 days but my only reservation is location as I will be about 5 months pregnant when we visit and from what I have read I am not sure how accessible the location is.

I appreciate this is the Nice forum and I have ,ade the same posting in the Cannes forum, but other forums are not as active so would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Elaine

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
1. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

Elaine...you only really need one base in the Cote d'Azur....there is no need to pack and move several times. The Cote d'Azur is very compact and you can move around easily on buses and trains. It's only a half hour from Nice to Cannes. Trains are a good way to get around but the bus is one euro. For train travel you can use the "summer only" Carte Isabelle which is a pass for unlimited daily train travel.

NIce or Antibes make excellent bases, I wouldn't recommend staying in Cannes. There are far more interesting places to stay along the coast.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
reviews: 26
2. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

datthecoast and I differ on how we see Cannes, but that's what's good about TA. Travelers can decide what's best for them. Cannes is where we have been based for the past thirteen years, and it works for us.

I agree with Dat that it doesn't make sense to consider the number of bases you are planning, and for a contrast, we have enjoyed Villefranche for a few nights and Cannes for the other five we spend in the region. VF is "village-y" and quite tranquil where Cannes is more glitz and glamour. We enjoy Cannes' ocean view dining and its array of restaurants. As an admitted cafe and bistro traveler, I find Cannes the best place along the coast to enjoy dining in an "beachy" or ocean setting. VF is going to be very near Nice (about 10 minutes by train or there is a coastal route on which you can walk there!) and Cannes is going to be about 15 minutes by bus to Antibes. We find the the contrast between the two resorts enjoyable and the spacing can mean easy access to some of the other resorts. The train trip from Cannes>Monte Carlo is about 50 minutes and from Cannes>Nice, it's about 40.

Glasgow, United...
3. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

Thanks both for your replies. Apologies but a long day at work means I've not been able to respond until now.

The feedback I've had is to try & reduce my bases as I have too many. However I'm struggling to decide what to do for the best.

I am committed to a couple of nights in Cannes due to booked transport (arrive by train late afternoon Monday & would rather avoid changing accommodation as soon as the next day). The hubby is very keen on staying at the Negresco but we can only afford a couple of nights & week nights at that. I'd rather avoid changing hotels in Nice which is why I am looking at a 3rd location. Our accommodation budget (excl 2 nights earmarked for Negresco) will be c. €150 per night.

If I only stay in Cannes & Nice then I'm worried I might miss out in a lovely experience by not staying in one of the more tranquil locations.

I've never been to the area before & don't have a lot of time to plan this trip carefully so open to suggestions. Willing to ditch staying at the Negresco if there is a better option for a base during our visit.

All thoughts welcome!

Thanks again.

Elaine

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
4. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

Elaine....once again, the Cote d'Azur is very compact. If you arrive in Cannes in the late afternoon, you could be in Nice a half an hour later...or in lovely Villefranche in 40 minutes. Staying in 4 different hotels in 7 nights just seems like an incredible amount of hassle to me. But to each their own!

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
5. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

It's only ten minutes away, but consider the hotels Welcome or Darse in the Villfranche harbor. VF is close to Nice, but a big contrast to the more city settings in Nice and Cannes. Evenings on a balcony in either hotel are lovely and very different from what you will experience in the other cities. Another option might be to go inland. Besides St Paul or Eze, maybe Vence?

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
6. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

It's only ten minutes away, but consider the hotels Welcome or Darse in the Villfranche harbor. VF is close to Nice, but a big contrast to the more city settings in Nice and Cannes. Evenings on a balcony in either hotel are lovely and very different from what you will experience in the other cities. Another option might be to go inland. Besides St Paul or Eze, maybe Vence?

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
7. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

i would reflect very carefully before picking somewhere like Villefranche or Roquebrune if you are pregnant because of the amount of trekking up and downhill you will need to do in hot weather.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
8. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

I didn't pick up on the pregnant part, and Selkie makes a good point. The stairs in VF would not be my favorite thing in that condition.

Louisville, KY
Destination Expert
9. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

I'm rethinking my last post. When I was five months pregnant, I felt great and was active...and kudos to your husband who is keen on your stay at Le Negresco. He's a keeper.

About Villefranche, once you are in the harbor area, things are flat. If you arrive by train, there is a rather steep and sometimes, uneven set of stairs down to the shoreline, but if a train is what you do, people love a mom to be and will look out for you. If not a train, consider door to door via a taxi, and to give you an idea about the rates, this is what it would cost to travel the distance from the Nice airport. From Le Negresco, I think the rate might be a bit less, but the experts can advise you on that.

…aeroport.fr/Passengers/…Taxis

VF rises from the harbor in a rather steep incline, but the harbor area is flat and filled with restaurants. TBH, we've been very happy with our room with a balcony overlooking the VF harbor (the comings and goings from the yachts are a hoot!) and the stunning view of St. Jean/Cap Ferrat. Up until the day my daughter was delivered, I was a walker and at five months, I could have handled the walk to to Beaulieu sur Mer and maybe, onto the peninsula. A trip to the Villas Ephrussi or Kerylos might be in order, and if you don't walk, Selkie can help you with the 81 bus that will get you there. To give you an idea of how this might work, here is how my daughter and I walked from VF to BSM and past the promenade onto Cap Ferrat:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k5935…

Here are links to the harbor hotels:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187246-d219899…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187246-d259712…

...Villefranche and Cap Ferrat:

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g187246-Villefranche…

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g187237-St_Jean_Cap_…

...and the villas:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187237-d2…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187218-d1…

If you think this is something you want to do, don't dally. The harbor hotels are small, they book well in advance and call the hotels for your reservation. At this date, things could be tight. When I've booked, I couldn't get two nights on line, but I could when I talked to the hotel directly. You can do as little or as much as you want at this point in your pregnancy, and simply sitting on a balcony overlooking the VF harbor might be enough.

If these hotels are booked, I think I would move onto Vence. Guys, any other thoughts? She's decided on Cannes and Le Negresco in Nice and wants somewhere else to go.

Edited: 12:21 am, March 19, 2013
Glasgow, United...
10. Re: Where to stay - Cannes, Nice & ???

Thanks all for your advice, I'm very grateful. Villefranche Sur Mer seems like a good option that I need to explore this quickly as I'm sure last time I checked accommodation was already limited for my dates.

I appreciate that by changing location I'm going against the recommendation but I'm used to doing this on holidays and wouldn't want to spend all my evenings in the cities.

Any other final thoughts would be gratefully received.

Elaine