We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 1
Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

We are a family of six adults planning to visit Nice,Monaco,Turino and back to Marseille this coming May .Because of the many locations we figures it would be good to hire a minivan and drive along. We will initially stay 2 nites in Nice and move to Monaco do a bit of sight seeing and move to Turino. Spend a nite in Turin and move back to Monaco and Marseille and again spend 2 nites there before catching a flight out of Marseille.Questions : Is this sound ok, will be ok driving in Nice and Monaco or it would be better to park the minivan somewhere near the main city and take public transportation as we know driving in Nice and Monaco would be difficult especially to find public parking. Any advice will be most appreciated

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
1. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

Have you looked at any guidebooks on the areas you plan to visit? You mention multiple visits to Monaco. Monaco is tiny and you can see it all in 3 hours,

How long will you be travelling for? It sounds like you will be spending a lot of time travelling on toll autoroutes.

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

Yes i will be passing Monaco and just spend several hours there . No I have not seen any travel book, hence I am in dark.

Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

Have a look at a guidebook or two and come back to us with specific questions. You will get a lot better answers...

Adelaide
reviews: 199
4. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

A large part of Monaco is closed to vehicles not registered in Monaco. Police man the intersections and block access to e.g. French or Italian registered vehicles. So you will need to park your van and find alternative means of moving around. Alternately, you could do an organised tour from Nice or even public transport from Nice to Monaco.

Turin also has a ZTL (limited access) area that you can not enter. If you do, you will face heavy fines and your car hire company will charge you for providing your details to the authorities.

You should also have an international drivers licence. I'm not sure for France, but in Italy our car rental company insisted on it.

Vancouver, Canada
5. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

International Drivers License not required in France. Good recommendation regarding the dreaded ZTL!

As I mentioned earlier....the OP needs to do a little reading on his destinations and I think we can help him...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
6. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

International Drivers Permit (not License) is required in Italy for drivers who do not have an EU license.

Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

OK Nick, an International Drivers PERMIT is not required in France. Happy now?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
8. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

Except at the time of the Monaco Grand Prix, virtually the whole of Monaco is open to vehicles with any nationality's licence plates. There is also ample underground public parking - though this is expensive for long visits.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
9. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

Dan

Actually, it is important to get it right. There are many web sites offering an International Driving License for a fee. Those who buy get a worthless piece of paper, but technically there is no fraud as the web site did not claim to offer an International Drivers Permit.

10. Re: Driving from Nice to Monaco and Torino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, December 17, 2013