We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yerevan, Armenia
reviews: 1
Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

We will be staying in Nice, but would love to have one-day trips to Cannes, Saint Tropez, Monaco, Antib. Which buses we can take, howm much it would cost? We are on a budget and wonder whether the train is also cost-efficient and what are the prices?

Thank you

51 replies to this topic
Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
reviews: 26
1. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

Trains run along the coastline between Cannes and Monaco, so getting to the resorts between those destinations is easy. To give you a perspective on time, Cannes to Monaco is a little over an hour, Nice to Monaco, about a half and hour, and Nice to Cannes, about forty minutes. The experts will have to give you estimated fares between the locations, but if you are traveling between June 1 and September 30, you might want to consider one of these passes:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…

The advantage with a pass is that you can travel all day in whichever direction choose on that single ticket, but depending upon where you are going, destination tickets are sometimes less expensive. On a destination ticket, you validate your ticket in the yellow box at the entrance to the boarding area at the start of your journey in one direction. For example, on a Nice>Cannes ticket, you validate your ticket in Nice on your way to Cannes, and in Cannes on your way back. As long as a stop is between these destinations, you can stop at another resort in either direction, but you can't back track or travel beyond either Nice or Cannes. For example, if you wanted to go to Monaco after Cannes, you would have to buy another ticket. On a pass you can travel all day long wherever you want to go. I've never been clear on how you need to validate a pass, and perhaps an experts can help you with this.

Trains are frequent - every 20 minuntes are so - and they're walk on...there's no need for reservations. When you get to the train station, pick up the pocket pamphlet "04 Mandelieu-La Napoule...Ventimiglia." This will give you the train schedule and pay attention to where the various routes will end. This will be the id for the train on the marquis and under different headings, there are a number of trains that travel the distance between Cannes and Monaco.

There are coastal buses, 100 for Nice to Monaco and 200 for Nice to Cannes, and these are the least expensive way to travel, 1 Euro/person for the duration of a trip. Be careful however, because these buses are painfully slow, the make multiple stops, and they are subject to traffic congestion. I only use them for short trips. Again, the experts will give you the best advice here, but of the destinations you are considering, I think only the 100 or 110 bus to Monaco will be practical.

Here is a link to the bus website:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/

There are also direct bus routes to St. Paul de Vence (400) and Eze (82) from Nice and as these villages don't have train stations, the bus is the only way to get there via public transportation.

Here is how I get from the train stations and bus stops to the parts of the towns I want to visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

St. Tropez is another part of the Riviera from the Cannes to Monaco region, and it's not easy to get to by public transport. There isn't a train station in St. Tropez and the easiest way to get St. Tropze from Nice is on a one day boat trip on Trans Cote d'Azur:

http://www.trans-cote-azur.com/

This trip is to the village of St. Tropez and the beaches are a distance away. I've never made the trip to St. Tropez, and I can't say I've missed not doing this. I've stayed happy and busy in the Cannes to Monaco part of this region, but you will know what's going to important to you.

Have a great trip!

newcastle england
reviews: 66
2. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

The 200 bus leaves from the bus station near Place Messina for Cannes and costs 1euro. It is a very long journey (just over an hour and a half) and not very scenic. We caught this and getting fed up with the ride got off at Antibes well worth it - a lovely place. Caught the bus later to Cannes. We couldn't face the journey back by bus so caught the train - I think about 6euros.

The 100 bus (same bus station) takes you to Monaco. Again 1euro. We actually stayed on the bus to the terminus Menton - absolutely lovely. Then caught the bus back to Monaco, and later back to Nice. It is 1euro each time you get on. This is a lovely route along the coast, very scenic.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
3. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

anneNewcastle, I think you are saying what has been my experience.

1) Bus 200 between Cannes and Antibes, fine.

2) Bus 100 and 112 between Nice and Monaco, also good. 112 may follow a more scenic route (?), but he 100 bus runs more frequently:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/index.asp

3) Other destinations, train. These trains run every twenty minutes or so

For longer hauls, take the train and for the short ones, the bus sometimes gives you a more scenic route. I enjoyed the ride between Cannes and Antibes. The lovelier residences front roadways, not the train tracks, and I that's what I remember along this route. The ride was just long enough to be enjoyable, and as a gardener, I found to glimpses of the gardens along this route to be very nice.

During a strike when trains were running on a shortened schedule, I took the bus from Nice to Cannes. I agree, this went on forever and it was only scenic on occasion...most often, not so much and not something I've ever considered doing again. On that trip, however, it was good that I knew about the 200 bus and had a "Plan B."

Lancashire UK
reviews: 14
4. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

I pre booked tickets from Nice to Monaco (19 minutes) for 8:42am one Saturday. The train was listed on the platform screen until 8:30 then a different train blocked the platform and my train never arrived. At 9:10am I asked and was told to get a different train from a different platform, one my ticket was not really valid for. The moral, don't rely on French trains!

Yerevan, Armenia
5. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

So grateful for such prompt advices! Any idea on the time of last bus/train in order to come back to Nice. We would like to see Monaco when it is dark as well but be sure to catch the last bus.

Thank you

Antibes, France
6. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

Just a comment on JDobson's experience.... There is absolutely no need to pre-book tockets for local trains ( for Cannes, Antibes, Monaco etc) which run commuter fashion every half hour or so. Buy your ticket at the counter or from the blue ticket machines. The only train you will be thrown off is the TGV .

Can I also remind travellers there is no rail line to St Tropez - you can take the train to St Raphael and then get a boat. Or else, more expensively, in the summer, cruise direct from Nice.

Ed

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
7. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

Sara M, go to the Lignes d'Azur link and check the schedule for the 100 bus. The train is also an option, and you can check those times here:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

Under the second option, "Search Online," select the "O4 Mandelieu-La Napoule...Ventimiglia" route. Click "Select Time Sheet." and an underlined link will appear below "Please Choose a Line." That will get you to the PDF.

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
8. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

You won't be thrown off tgv trains but you may get a fine if you travel on tgvs or other long distance trains without a reservation and appropriate tickets

you can however, buy tickets for these trains on the day up to a few minutes before travel , from the yellow ticket machines and this can be useful during gaps in the local service -however this applies only for travel between the following stations - les arcs, cannes, st Raphael, Antibes and Nice

Buying tickets for local trains in advance online from the TER PACA WEBSITE ONLY is a good idea for specific events eg monaco grand prix when queues for tickets can be immense or when there is a combined entrance fee plus train travel combination ticket

newcastle england
reviews: 66
9. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

Still have timetables we used two weeks ago for bus and train back from Cannes. Last bus 8.30pm. Last train 11.11pm.

We found spending five minutes in Tourist Information on Promenade on first morning very useful. They printed timetables off for us and were very helpful.

Yerevan, Armenia
10. Re: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez

Thank you for useful information and links!

Reply to: Train/Bus from Nice to Cannes, Monaco, Saint Tropez
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted