We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

Hi Guys,

When I get off the train a Villefranche can I then walk to Cap Ferrat and back to Villefrance beach?

1. If so how long would the return walk take while walking at a leisurely hight of summer pace?

2. Is it a 'U' shaped walk or is go one route and back the same route?

3. Anything worth stopping for such as nice sight or moderately priced restaurant?

4. If it all gets too tiring for me a recommendation for an overnight stay at a nice Cap Ferrat moderately priced hotel (one that you have stayed at) would be welcome.

Your advice is much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Bo

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

It depends what exactly you mean

.Are you wanting to walk all the way round the peninsula or to walk to st jean cap ferrat?

Villefranche station to the port at st jean cap ferrat is about 3 km -so 45mins to an hour walk for most people

You could then walk to Beaulieu station on the return another 45 mins or so

Walking around the full peninsula woudl add several hours on

There is a bus between Villefranche and cap ferrat - number 81

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,928 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

I am in a coffee shop in St Jean having just strolled from Villefranche in about 30/40 minutes. It is a stunningly beautiful morning. Climb the steps at the end of the beach furthest from the village and continue straight ahead with the railway on your left. Pass Villa Nellcote, once the home of the Rolling Stones, and now undergoing massive improvements. When you arrive at a complicated road junction start praying as it was redesigned a year or so ago to make it even more dangerous, with amber lights flashing all the time, meaning proceed with caution. The problem is that locals do not understand any such instruction, so wait until the coast is clear and run across. If you survive, go down the hill where you will see the Royal Riviera Hotel, good but pricey. Turn right beyond the hotel and you will find a well surfaced footpath beside the sea all the way to St Jean. On a day like today this is as nice a short walk as you will find anywhere on the planet.

I will now retrace my steps as far as the Royal Riviera and then go to do some shoppng among the super rich in Beaulieu.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
3. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

As a fan of Exile on Main Street always wondered who owned Villa Nellcote these days. We expect a general invitation when you move in, LondonBob.

Ed

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

The days of rock stars with any taste are long gone Ed. I expect like the rest of the Ave Louise Bordes it is owned by a wealthy Russian through a dolls-nest of holding companies. Perhaps some day one of the Stones will come back purchase it an open it to the public. Or someone from Monaco attracted back to France by Francois Holland's suicidal 75% tax rate proposals.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
5. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

>>>Or someone from Monaco attracted back to France by Francois Holland's suicidal 75% tax rate proposals<<<

I trust we won't have to move back to the Tiny Fairy Tale Principality, NiceLife. One tends to suffer from cabin fever.

Ed

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

Ohhhh....I want to be there! LondonBob, I laughed out loud at your post...and still am. What a nice way to start my day! :-)

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,928 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

WB,

That was supposed to be a secret. I have even been learning Russian so that I can fit in with the neighbours. Now that my secret is out my security team has advised me to stick to my tiny flat to avoid drawing attention to my wealth. How are things in the lake isle these days?

Bob

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info from SelkieNice and London Bob. Very much appreciated.

The others, with the greatest respect, I was just looking for info on what I started the topic on...Let's keep TripAdvisor for what it is intended.

Regards,

TravelBoy1

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for French Riviera - Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

Excuse me?

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
10. Re: Villefranche to Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat

Things in the Lake Isle of Inisfree are fine, London Bob. Especilaly in Drumcliffe Churchyard. But I occasionally visit WB Yeats's grave in Roquebrune. You may know rumour has it he was not repatriated in 1949 -they got the wrong one.

Ed