We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station to the free public main beach?

Which Juan-les-Pins hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey, United...
reviews: 66
Train station to the free public main beach?

Hi, we want to take the train from Nice to Juan les pins. 2 adults and 2 kids and want to know if the beach is within easy reach? How much of the beach is private as in rent sunbeds and parasols with drink service etc and how much is free? I have seen pics of both. Another nice looking beach we were looking as is salis. Any info on these beaches and proximity from train would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
1. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

By law, only a maximum of 20% of the total beach area can be privately controled.

The salis beach isn't close to antibes train station -there is a bus you can take though

Juan les pins beach is 10 mins walk from the train station

You might also consider Villefranche beach - 5 mins on the train and station is only a few feet from the beach. mix of sand and tiny pea sized pebbles

Or Beaulieu- under 10 mins train trip and under 10 mins walk from station- sand in the sea ,teeny pea sized pebbles on the shore

Jersey, United...
2. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

Thanks for your reply. Is the bus to Salis from Antibes train station? Would you recommend one beach over the other in terms of scenery and snack places, showers etc? I will check out the other two mentioned now :)

Nice
Destination Expert
3. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

salis beach is low down the list scenery wise IMO , it is also very narrow between the paved area and the sea shore so it gets towel to towel packed in summer.

I wouldn't go a special trip there.

Scenery wise, Villefranche is outstanding, Beaulieu is pretty and you can easily walk between cap ferrat, Beaulieu and Villefranche.

Juan les pins is a very ''summer holiday' place -most of the shops and restaurants cater to tourism and tumble weed rolls around the streets in winter

I like the JLP beach is quite pretty and sparkly in a modern sort of way but not necessarily pretty scenery ,exactly . Its hard to explain exactly what i mean.

My preference is to go to any beach in late afternoon in summer and for walks and beachcombing in winter

The vast majority of beaches on the coast have free cold showers and some sort of snack place - if they are not really isolated.

Edited: 3:32 pm, April 15, 2013
Jersey, United...
4. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

Thanks I just had a look at Villefranche and it is just what we are looking for and so is Beaulieu. We will go to both for sure. And Juan Les Pins. Thanks for you help. Staying in Nice 5 nights from 16 June going aquasplash on 18 June so looking for some places we have not been to down there yet. And what you mentioned will be all new. Then Diano Marina in Italy 6 nights and Genoa 2 nights. Can't wait now.

Nice
Destination Expert
5. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time =]

Antibes, France
6. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

Selkie has given you some excellent beach information . However I would disagree with her assessment of the Salis Beach in Antibes ( which is the farther extension of the Ponteil beach). The view from here of the Old Town of Antibes and the hills behind is superb . And, depending when you are coming you may be lucky enough to have a full panorama of the higher Alps behind it. A view much painted by no less than Monet.

The shuttle bus No.11 runs from the station and the town every half hour. It passes along both the Ponteil and Salis beaches and terminates at the latter. Ponteil is usually much more crowded as it backs on a large public car park. All the beaches are free and there are toilets, several snack 'huts' on the beach and also lifeguards in summer.

Ed

Nice
Destination Expert
7. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

The view is better in winter, when the paintings with mountains were painted and postcards with mountains in the background are taken.

The atmposheric conditions in winter ''magnifies'' the view but it shrinks back in summer

Jersey, United...
8. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

Thanks, great info from you guys, much appreciated. I will take note of all the info.

Jersey, United...
9. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

Just to confirm. Does the 11 bus run from the train station to Salis?

Also, what is the easiest way to get from train in JLP to beach (directions, street names etc) thanks

Nice
Destination Expert
10. Re: Train station to the free public main beach?

bus 14 goes to plage de la salis www.envibus.fr/telechargement.asp…

Get answers to your questions about Juan-les-Pins