We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the train ride from Cannes to Monte Carlo?

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
How long is the train ride from Cannes to Monte Carlo?

My partner and I and our 4 year old are cruising the Italian Med in August. Rather than take an expensive excursion, we are hoping to take the train to Monte Carlo instead. Can anybody tell me how far away the train station is from the port and how long the train ride takes from Cannes to Monte Carlo please? Also, any reccommendations of nice places to visit after Monte Carlo would be greatly appreciated (obviously not too far away as we need to be back to the ship by around 5pm)

Surrey UK
reviews: 6
1. Re: How long is the train ride from Cannes to Monte Carlo?

I asume you're starting from Cannes. The station isn't far (see any of the map websites) but, with a 4 year-old in a city you don't know, it would be worth a short taxi ride.

The train journey takes between 55-80 minutes (depending on which train you catch. The timetable is here

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH04-Mande…

You should be aware that the trains can be very crowded in the morning and evening peaks.

I rather doubt you'll have time for anything else. Eze village is a magnet for tourists (deservedly) but the station is a long way outside and the terrain is hilly. You might just have time for a brief stop-over in Nice.

Antibes, France
2. Re: How long is the train ride from Cannes to Monte Carlo?

As well as being crowded trains on this line suffer regular delays and sometimes cancellations so you could be very tight for a 5pm return deadline.

Some people find Monaco/Monte Carlo a bit disappointing - very built up with high rises and not quite the fairly tale principilaty they were expecting. You may find your time better employed and less stressful by taking the train no furrther than Nice or better still Antibes - which has an incredible amount to offer only 20 mins from Cannes ( and time for a relaxed lunch) - also spending a bit of time strolling the sights of Cannes especially the old town part - Le Suquet.

Ed

Destination Expert
for Cannes
reviews: 13
3. Re: How long is the train ride from Cannes to Monte Carlo?

The port is around 10 to 15 minutes walk from the railway station depending where the ship's tender drops you.

Rail timetables for Monaco have been kindly provided above. Be aware that trains are often delayed so factor in extra time for your journeys both ways.

There won't be much time for anywhere else . I would suggest you use any spare time to look round Cannes or possibly stop at Villefranche en route if you have an hour spare (the railway station is close to the port in Villefranche).

Eze village is nowhere near Eze railway station, therefore not doable IMO and I suspect your 4 year old will not really appreciate it

Hope this helps

4. Re: How long is the train ride from Cannes to Monte Carlo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, May 18, 2012