We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets around the French Riveria

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 8
Markets around the French Riveria

Can anyone recommend any markets to visit? I am gonna be based in Cannes and would be willing to travel if anyone can recommend a market worth going to on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. Thanks.

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
1. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

what sort of market?

london
2. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

Markets where I can buy clothes, shoes, handbags, sunglasses etc.

Ireland
3. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

Probably the best market for what you are looking for is in Ventimiglia, but unfortunately it takes place on a Friday. Take a look at :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187828-i4595-k299…

Edited: 3:37 pm, March 15, 2011
Nice
Destination Expert
4. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

sanremo on the saturday is your best bet since it is pretty much the ventimiglia market re-located

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

While I like San Remo and its market (the covered food market next to the open market is particularly nice) this is a very long trek from Cannes.

It's going to take you around two hours in each direction, with a change of train at Ventimiglia. And the station in San Remo is ten to fifteen minute's walk from the market. You can get a trolley bus (every fifteen minutes) to cut the distance down..

Only do this if you think you will enjoy sitting for four hours on slow trains that stop at every tiny station along the way. The views from the trains are often excellent - but many people don't care about that for long.

Train times at http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html - most connections on this website use Regional trains between Ventimiglia and San Remo - total ticket cost on these trains will be €13.50 each way, buy your Italian ticket at Ventimiiglia. Or see http://www.tgv-europe.com/ - the times on this website and voyages-sncf use more expensive InterCity trains between Ventimiglia and San Remo, so the ticket price is €17.60 each way which gives you the dubious benefit of a seat reservation for a fifteen minute journey.

london
6. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

Thanks for your replies. Are there any markets in or around Cannes or Nice similar to those found in San Remo and Ventimiglia?

Nice
Destination Expert
7. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

not as big as ventimiglia -

thursday antibes

sunday st laurent du var

thursday cadam nice

monday flea cours saleya nice

various - antique flea etc etc cannes

www.cannes.com/index.php…

France
reviews: 2
8. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

There is also the Valbonne market on a friday whic whilst not huge is in a wonderful provencal village. It runs until one and has a good selection of clothes food etc and is about 30mins from Cannes

Nashville
reviews: 2
9. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

We are headed to Cannes/FrenchRiviera in April 2013. I am a little confused though I looked at a list of antique markets and it lists

Cannes- Every Monday and Sat Afternoon

Grasse- Wednesdays or ors sat of month

Nice- All day Monday or 1st Sunday of Month

How do I know which ones to plan around? On the Mondays or the weekends? Which are better.

Thanks and hopefully this will be my last question as we are planning!

Destination Expert
for Cannes
reviews: 13
10. Re: Markets around the French Riveria

It depends what you are looking for.

The market on Monday morning in Cannes at Marche Forville is probably the best for furniture/household items and more authentic French.

The one on Saturday (and Sunday) next to the town hall is more bric a brac but some household stiff and paintings. It is by no means all antiques.

The market at Cours Saleya in Nice is large but quite a mixed bag

Don't know the Grasse market

If you are staying in Cannes, on Monday you could visit Marche Forville, then head onto Nice Cours Saleya.

Get answers to your questions about Cannes