We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
reviews: 1
Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

We will be arriving by ship in Cannes on Tuesday, August 12 and were planning on hiring a driver to take us to Monte Carlo and possibly St. Paul de Vence or Cagnes-Sur-Mer. However, friends of ours who spent some time in the area said not to try to travel by car during that time as the traffic was so bad, we could spend most of the day sitting in traffic. They said we would be much better off taking the train to Monte Carlo. I'm not sure how easy it would be to stop at some other towns if we go by train. What do you think is better - train or car? There are 4 of us, so budget is also a consideration.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
reviews: 8
1. Re: Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

Train between Cannes and Monaco is cheapest, quicker and more reliable on account of summer when the traffic jams routinely around Villeneuve Loubet and Cagnes.

As for villages like St Paul, there are buses from Cannes which are inexpensive.

Hiring a driver? Cab drivers on the Riviera enjoy a very high standard of living. Draw your own conclusion

Alberta
2. Re: Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

Thanks for your reply. Looks like the train might be the better option.

London, UK
reviews: 58
3. Re: Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

If you only have one day, I would suggest you do the circuit of Monaco, Eze, Nice. Train to Monaco, 1 hr 10,

bus to Eze Village, 15 mins, bus to Nice 15 mins, train to Cannes 40 mins. Total cost would be less than 50 euros for four of you. I suspect a car with driver for the day would be more like 400.

I prefer Eze to St Paul and, in my experience, in August it would be a very slow trip to St Paul by car or bus.

Alberta
4. Re: Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

Thanks very much for the suggestions. That sounds like it would be a very good day. We weren't sure of the travel times and if we would have time to visit some other towns if we used the train or bus, but it sounds like it would be very doable.

inverness
5. Re: Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

Could you tell me where I can find train times and also how far from port to train station thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
6. Re: Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

nice-airport.com/acces_stationnement_en/…

will give you train times, Download PDF4 Mandelieu-Vintimille. Read the small print carefully (not all trains are every day) and don't expect trains will always be on time.

inverness
7. Re: Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

Thanks for that

8. Re: Cannes to Monte Carlo - by train or by tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, September 23, 2009