We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antibes or VilleFranche for base?

Which Antibes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 3
Antibes or VilleFranche for base?

Both spots look charming....

We will sight see in area (Nice and others) but want a nice base to come home to for lovely beach swim, walk along shore after having quality provencal food.

Thoughts? Which is better? Antibes or Villefranche.

First time in this part of France...

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 44
1. Re: Antibes or VilleFranche for base?

Very different places really. Villefranche is really a suburb of Nice (though I'm sure they'd hate to be called that) only 15 minutes walk from Nice, is on a steep hillside, and only good for bus connections.

Antibes is a small French town which is pretty flat. It has very good rail connections, and a lot of nice restaurants in the main part of town, and is more atmospheric in my view.

My preference would be Antibes - we stayed at

the Hotel Jabotte which is very good.

London, UK
reviews: 57
2. Re: Antibes or VilleFranche for base?

Some confusion here! Villefranche is about 15 minutes from Nice by bus and 7 by train. I like Villefranche partly because of proximity to Nice and Cap Ferrat. The coast east of Nice is much more dramatic than the western side.

Antibes is much bigger with more shops. Impossible to say which one you might prefer. Both have their fans.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
reviews: 6
3. Re: Antibes or VilleFranche for base?

Go Villefranche. You are that close to Nice you can leverage it as your travel hub for exploration. Settle for Antibes and basicaly you are likely to just stay there.

The biggest difference between Villefranche and Antibes is the beachlife - Antibes is more "School's out all Summer", Villefranche of course has some has families but its overall a little more adult and sophisticated, with more restaurants rather than baguette kiosks.

Each has their fans, but only you know which is more your thing...

london
reviews: 3
4. Re: Antibes or VilleFranche for base?

I find Antibes infinitely more appealing than Villefranche which to me borders on the embalmed.

Yes there is more youth and vibrancy in Antibes but in a good way, and it also has many many fine restaurants some of them Michelin starred which I can't say for Villefranche.

Antibes in and of itself has a great deal to offer but its also very convenient to charming hill towns like Biot and lets not forget Cannes.

The beaches are sandy, the water is clear, I think its the most appealing place on the cote d'azur.

5. Re: Antibes or VilleFranche for base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 pm, October 03, 2009