We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With no underestimation to the French Riviera :-)

Which French Riviera - Cote d'Azur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 38
With no underestimation to the French Riviera :-)

Hi all:

We'll be based in Cannes from 1st to 6 sep. we're a family of 5 including a 4 years old. I can't say i made no research at all but considering that it's a last minute "1st time" visit :-) i'm satisfied with the results. my question is: will we be able to cover all these stops:

Mont Carlo

Eze

Villesfranche-sur-mere

Nice

Antibes

Cannes

St-tropez

Without the need to rush considering that we have children with us? We have no car. Will be using trains in majority & are staying next to the train station in Cannes. Do we need to drop any? Or maybe replace any of the stops?

Thanks for the input in advance!

6 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 16
1. Re: With no underestimation to the French Riviera :-)

A trip to St-Tropez would take most of a day. Otherwise you can combine day trips to Villefranche-sur-Mer/Eze Village, and Monte Carlo; then Antibes and Cannes. Spend the rest of your time in and around Nice, including the beautiful peninsula of St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat.

Destination Expert
for Cannes
reviews: 13
2. Re: With no underestimation to the French Riviera :-)

Since you are based in Cannes, you should have time to explore there at leisure and perhaps take a trip out to one of the islands in the bay by ferry from Cannes old harbour ( half a day). Isle Ste Marguerite in particular may appeal to the children.

I would allow 1 day to visit Nice itself, travelling there by train

1 day for Eze village/Monaco/Villefranche .

You could use a Pass Isabelle famille + 1 here and perhapstake the train to Beaulieu sur Mer, the 83 bus from Beaulieu up to Eze village, then the bus from Eze village to Monaco. Train back to Cannes from Monaco stopping in Villefranche on the way

Half a day to vist Antibes by bus

The St Tropez day excursion by boat from Cannes will take a whole day... if you really want to go :)

Finland
reviews: 131
3. Re: With no underestimation to the French Riviera :-)

I confirm the answers before me to be correct :-)

There are two ways to get to St Tropez and I understand that this may be interesting to see.

1) A boat tour from Cannes http://www.trans-cote-azur.com/ If it is windy, I would not suggest this unless you're used to boating. It is required or at least advised to book beforehand in the website.

2) Train to St Raphael (www.voyages-sncf.com), then bus #7601 to St Tropez (takes 1h 25min according to timetable but may be slower, I suggest you do this in the middle of the week) www.varlib.fr for information about the buses Note that "Pass Isabelle Famille" is not valid on the rail trip Cannes - St Raphael - Cannes because they are not in the same departement. You can buy return tickets at the station. On the bus, you pay to the driver, the fare is just a few euros per person / direction (no return tickets available).

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 38
4. Re: With no underestimation to the French Riviera :-)

Wow! Thank you so much everyone! I'll follow that & hopefully we should be respectful to the place & ensure we dig deep enough to feel it's charm.

Any specially recommendations for the nice full day? The only recommendation I have so far is a dinner at the flowers' market (which turns fish restaurants after 5pm?)

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 16
5. Re: With no underestimation to the French Riviera :-)

For Nice: visit the open-air market in the Cours Saléya, which is just to one side of the old town (Vieux Nice). Have a cup of coffee in one of the cafés. Spend an hour or two wandering in the narrow streets of Vieux Nice: interesting shops, the Palais Lascarais (open to visitors), beautiful old churches, and restaurants. Go to the top of the château rock, which is down at the eastern end of the Promenade des Anglais where it swings around to the old port, for a paroramic view; you can climb the stairs or take the elevator. Sit for a while on the famous blue chairs along the Promenade and look at the sea, then stroll along the Promenade.

The flower market is part of the large market on the Cours Saléya, but it does not turn into fish restaurants after 5 p.m. While you can get fish at some of the restaurants that surround the plaza, for some of the best go to the Café de Turin, a favorite of our local friends.

Edited: 1:28 am, August 25, 2013
London /Nice
reviews: 56
6. Re: With no underestimation to the French Riviera :-)

Turin is shellfish rather than fish and is best for lunch or a snack;absolute quality but not really a night out -cafe?

for fish generally Grand Bleu on Cours Saleya, Les Viviers on Alphonse Karr or Bocaccio on the pedestrian area but as always one mans great time is anothers disaster

read the reviews on TA but read carefully and more than a few

I haven't been to Grand Bleu for a while but I have never had a bad meal at Bocaccio and les Viviers is top quality -BUT sometimes in Nice it is not the food but the experience which you remember;

Reply to: With no underestimation to the French Riviera :-)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted